Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Rotala growing down?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cah925 
#1 ·
So I got some rotala sp. green and a bunch of other plants a few weeks ago. But since I planted the rotala it has been growing in a down/sideways direction. Does this mean its getting too much light? I have a 2x96w light over a 65 gallon tank, its nice and bright but I never really considered this to be too much. I wouldnt really want to reduce the light because my other plants are doing really well like this. Any comments or suggestions?

#5 ·
My tank is 36x18x24h. And I guess it is growing into an empty area but its starting to shade the shorter plants underneath. And it also sends out some serious roots in the areas where its growing down/sideways like its trying to replant itself. Its not looking very nice at the moment.

#6 ·
It's not abnormal for Rotala species to grow in a recumbent fashion. After you trim them for the first time and leave the bottoms in to sideshoot the new growth should come in bushier and have less of a tendency to grow horizontally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.