Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Rotala indica, and my problem is that all the new growth is green but the plant should be red. Is this a lack of nutrients or can it be a light issue? I have 260 watts over a 75 gallon.
Dosing regimen....
Monday=5ml seachem nitrogen,2ml phosphorus
Tuesday=5ml iron,2ml TMG
Wednesday=10percent water change,2ml nitrogen,1-2ml phosphorus
Thursday=5ml iron,2ml TMG
Friday=2ml iron
Saturday=off
Sunday=2ml TMG
CO2---2 Bubbles a sec.

Is this good dosing? If not, can you give me an idea what I should change?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some adjusting on my nitrate and iron dsoing.So far what i can see is the new leaves are alot broader but still havent got the red to show.

N=15ppm
P=0.5
FE=0.5

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I would not suggest that you test for iron at all.

Use mls per/gal per unit time(days per week etc).

This is consistent and othert things influence iron and other traces such as alkalinity and different chelators(ETDA, DTPE, Gluconate etc).

PO4 and NO3 test kits are not that good unless you spend a fair amount.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am almost positive that it is red indica..well, that is what I ordered. I hope they didn't substitute it for something else. Does anyone know for sure if that is it is or not :?:

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
That is rotundifolia (that can have 2 or 3 leaves per node). Rotundifolia was introduced as indica over 40 years ago, but unfortunately, some sellers still insist on selling it under the incorrect name, thus needlessly perpetuating an error and causing confusion.

Rotala indica is a real plant, but I don't think anyone here really knows what it looks like (myself included).

I don't know what kit you're using, but if your nitrates really are that high, that might explain the green growth.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using the Red Sea test kit.I thought the more nitrates would give the red color.So your saying that is the reason of the green growth.I will try to lower my nitrates and see what happens.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Yes, but not lower than around 5 or so. 10 would be a good level to shoot for. However, I suggest you invest in a better kit.

More iron isn't going to hurt your cause (but at least for that plant should play a lesser role in coloration). I'd say you could add at least twice that much without any concern. 10ml a week on a 75 isn't very much at all.

You only change 10% of the water a week?

Edit: but not lowerthan around 5. Sorry 'bout that! :oops:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Flourish Nitrogen was not a success for me in NYC water. When I switched to KNO3 (from Greg Watson) I was much better able to control dosing levels and understand by observing plants what was happening. Normal NO3 tests (even Seachem's) do not tell you what levels you are achieving by dosing Flourish Nitrogen.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
645 Posts
OA handbook has a pic of Rotoundfolia and Indica. Indica is more ovate in leaf formation. Most everyone has Rotoundfolia.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a updated pic,So far with using TMG i have better growth.I cut back on adding nitrogen still no red growth but i think it will take another week for my nitrates to go down.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Cavan Allen said:
Rotala indica is a real plant, but I don't think anyone here really knows what it looks like (myself included).
I do, we have it growing here in CA, it's on my weed list.
Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
24 Posts
bros, sorry for bringing up an old thread but it seems that there's no conclusion to this thread and i'm having the same problems too...

so what should i do?? decrease nitrogen???increase iron??? or decrease lights??

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You would have to say something about your lighting level, apart from your dosing regime in order to receive a helpful reply.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
24 Posts
sorry....missed that out..

here it is..

Beginners Info Sheet
--------------------

Tank Dimensions (LxWxH): 24"x12"x15"

Tank Volume (litres or gallons): 70L

Lighting Intensity(No of Watts) : 60W

Type of Lighting (FL/PL/MH) : 1x40W PL & 1x20WFL

No. of Hours your light is on : 10 hrs

CO2 Injection Rate (bps) : 3bps

Type of CO2 (DIY/Liquid/Tank) : 2.5L cylinder

Method of Injection (e.g. Diffusor/Reactor): bioball reactor

Substrate Used :

How Thick is your base fert : 2cm

How thick is your gravel : 3" front and 4" back

Liquid Fertilizers Used : nutrafin plant gro & sera florapol

Frequency of fertilization : divided into 3 times a week according dosage

Tank Temperature : 25C (morning) & 27C (night)

Type of Filter (overhead/internal/canister) : eheim 2213 canister

Filter media used : biohome sintered glass

How long has your tank been set up : around 20 days

Other equipment : surface skimmer

Chemical Properties (Fill what you can)
---------------------------------------
Carbonate Hardness (KH):
Total Hardness (gH):

pH : 7.0-7.2

NH4 (ppm):
NO2 (ppm):
NO3 (ppm):
PO4 (ppm):
Fe (ppm):

Bioload (Your Fish and Plants)
------------------------------

8 amano shrimps

Plants include,
2 unknown
rotala indica
blyxa japonica
echinodorus tenellus
glossostigma elatinoides
hiemanthus micranthemoides
micranthemum umbrosum
rotala walichii
cyperus helferi

it used to be like this when i first got it:

·
Registered
323 Posts
My recently aquired R. indica looks just like the last picture. It is still growing like that in my tank. So this is the REAL R. indica? btw, I got it from Ocean Aquarium in SF. My previous R. rotundifolia(indica) is much paler/greener.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.