Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
There is some discussion about whether there is a difference between the plants named R. indica and R. rotundifolia.

From my reading, it seems that there are two different species but that the one circulating in the hobby in the USA is R. rotundifolia.

Here is Tropica's information on R. rotundifolia / indica.

Here is some information from the USGS web site which states:
Rotala rotundifolia produces flowers on terminal spikes (racemes) and differs from a previously introduced species, Rotala indica, which is an annual species with shorter, lateral flower spikes.
Another link to information about Rotala species.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well they didn't ship well but here's a pic.

·
Registered
886 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have doubts that the difference between Rotala indica and Rotala rotundifolia is blood red coloration. I have the 'colorata' version of Rotala rotundifolia, and it is /much/ more similar to Rotala rotundifolia "Green" in vegatative morphology than the thick-leaved, more robust looking Rotala rotundifolia most commonly found in the USA.

Someone needs to special order some Rotala indica along with a bunch of Rotala rotundifolia from Oriental Aquariums, grow them together, photograph them, and take their pictures. Maybe this is a good summer project for me.

Carlos

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would be nice to know the diff. I see too many people selling the wrong plant. I thought I was getting indica but it seems otherwise. Not a big deal as its still a beautiful plant and I'm not quite ready to take on some of the more delicate plants yets. I'll stick with what I can grow.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why don't our 2 pics look the same. Mine has lost a lot of the reds but is still growing well. My ludwigia ovalis has lost some of its red too but my rotala doesn't look like JanS pic. Is it a hybrid?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts