Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Rotala Mini type 2. I have one stem that is morphing into an different and bigger leaf. Has anyone had this happen? I left the px big so you can see it goes down to a regular stem with regular leaves. At first I thought a different plant was caught in the mini. Then when I got my tweezers to remove it I realized it was attached!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I've had my rotundifolia/indica morph into rotala mini... Ok, not really... just severe stunting for reasons I never did figure out. When I had first heard about Rotala 'mini' and saw a picture I thought that it was just stunted indica though. :rolleyes: Then I saw pictures of it growing in lots of different tanks and realized it wasn't just a nutrient deficiency.

Maybe it is actually just some form of more common Rotala with a mutation that causes the small growth, and for some reason the mutated gene has changed again? (I wish I knew more about the plant genetics and biology.) I've seen lots of variegated terrestrial plants "out of nowhere" have leaves or entire branches that revert to the normal solid coloring. That also happened in one of my stems of Lysimachia nummularia 'aurea' (golden creeping jenny) -- first there were a couple streaks of darker green in a leaf, then a new side shoot from that area came out that was entirely the darker green color.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine has not done that at all. I have tried growing emersed, but it hasn't changed much out of water.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's interesting.

You're sure that's not a sprig of rotala 'green' or something that got mixed in your stand of mini?

Maybe this proves that 'mini' is just rotala with downs syndrome or something and that one is turning unretarded... ;)

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm sure this is the top of a regular stem of rotala mini type 2. It is not floating and has a great root system at the bottom of the stem. I think this is so interesting. I am shocked that none of you have, as yet, told me you have experienced the same thing.

Bigstick - this came from your original stock!

So weird - isn't it?!

Macclellan - you're so funny! downs....lol

·
Registered
490 Posts
Maybe it is actually just some form of more common Rotala with a mutation that causes the small growth, and for some reason the mutated gene has changed again? (I wish I knew more about the plant genetics and biology.) I've seen lots of variegated terrestrial plants "out of nowhere" have leaves or entire branches that revert to the normal solid coloring. That also happened in one of my stems of Lysimachia nummularia 'aurea' (golden creeping jenny) -- first there were a couple streaks of darker green in a leaf, then a new side shoot from that area came out that was entirely the darker green color.
Whoa pretty dam cool! But Trop has a point. That may have been excatly what had happen. Sometimes the mutation is only a gene or 2 in which case reverts are easer to do than if it was highly regulated. So with a simple mutation, there can be a simple muation to revert the orginal mutation. I think it must be a mistake in just one base pair in the DNA since reverts are extremely rare.

*its morphing time!*

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll keep in growing in there. I will eventually need to trim it. Unfortunately, when I do, no one will believe me that it came from Rotala mini type 2. :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
How cool. I got some of my mini from you Tex. I'll watch and see if anything happens. Might be intersting if any side shoots from that plant revert to the original type 2.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tex,

I know you're not gonna beleive me but I just looked at my little mini stand and it looks like ther is about a 1/2 inch of this form growing out of my mini 2. I will keep an eye on it and post pics in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tex,

I know you're not gonna beleive me but I just looked at my little mini stand and it looks like ther is about a 1/2 inch of this form growing out of my mini 2. I will keep an eye on it and post pics in the next couple of days.
Incredible! I wonder if, once it reaches a certain height, it will just morph in to it's old form!? I've not seen anything like this. I have seen a variegated plant revert back and grow more plain leaves until it's not variegated anymore, but this is a different leaf size and form. It's just amazing to me!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't think so, this growth is on a 3 inch side shoot and the main plant is 5 inches tall total. These leaves look like a small rot. rotundifolia. Really interesting. Are the leaves just below the morphed bit really compacted? It might be a coincidence but it's what I am seeing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thats strange that it happened to only one stem. But you have it documented with pics so i think that people will have to believe you once it is trimmed.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think so, this growth is on a 3 inch side shoot and the main plant is 5 inches tall total. These leaves look like a small rot. rotundifolia. Really interesting. Are the leaves just below the morphed bit really compacted? It might be a coincidence but it's what I am seeing.
Well I hear you, but your cuttings came from the top of my cuttings so technically they are of similar height/age.... Don't know what you mean by really compacted. If you mean smaller, kind of stunted I think maybe yes.

·
Administrator
7,404 Posts
I've never heard anything about the origin of this plant, but I wonder now if it's a mutation of something else (perhaps R. macrandra 'green') that's reverting. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I actually had one that did the same with at 3-4 of the nodes when the leaves got real big but then they reverted back to normal growth. I had scoffed it off as nothing more than just the plant adapting to the light or something. I guess there is more to it than I had thought! Or, the incidents may be very different and unrelated.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tex, that is exactly what I mean. Well it seems like the same thing is going on. Let's see if it goes back to the original growth like it did for fobby.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gotta say that I cut off the stem. Planted it beside the others and I think it might now be turning back to small leaves! I'll know for sure it a couple of days. I'll take a photo then. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts