Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
They're one and the same. Both look like Rotala sp Nanjenshan. The first photo is the submersed form and the second is the emersed form.

Carlos

·
Administrator
7,403 Posts
Carlos is correct. They are the same plant. Nanjenshan is the place where the plant (that may be a natural rotundifolia/wallichii hybrid) is found. "nanjean" is a spelling mistake. I have no idea why that site has the same plant labled with the correct and incorrect spellings in its emersed and submersed forms.

·
Administrator
7,403 Posts
The plant was initially identified as Mayaca sellowiana. The name in parenthesis is not a synonym or alternative name of some kind. If you look at the Tropica web site, they have "Pellia" in parenthesis under the newer and correct name Monosolenium tenerum. I guess that's to help people get up to speed, so to speak.

I believe that Mayaca sellowiana is a valid species, just not that one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you check out the Tropica site, here's what it says:

"There is some uncertainty about the correct name of this plant. For some time it has been sold as Mayaca sellowiana, but actually this is Rotala sp. ''Nanjenshan'' (species unknown)."

I got some of the Tropica ones like the picture (with the pot), and it grew out to be like the other pic. I believe Tropica sells many plants in the emersed form. Mayaca sellowiana is an entirely different plant that looks similar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts