Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my stand of Rotala serpyllifolia. Originally collected in India by Christel Kasselmann and Karen Randall. Grown in a mineralized soil substrate supplemented regularly with Osmocote+ and Flourish Tabs. 75% RO water with the daily addition of the recommended dose of Flourish Advance with half dose of Flourish and a little bit of Flourish Iron. Co2 of at least 1.3 pH drop. Lighting is pretty intense using RapidLed fixture I built (24 LEDs in total). PAR of at least 150 at substrate, probably more.

It's a strong grower that doesn't like to be shaded. Red top to bottom. Like arcuata but a good bit larger and robust. Oddly susceptible to BBA, so regular water changes and filter cleanings are a must (50% weekly and every 3-4 weeks, respectively).

That's Rotala mexicana 'Wayanad' below it. Solid grower as well that always stays green. Very bushy and prolific. I think both will be popular.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
never seen it before,
plan on selling it? LOL

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts

....... Oddly susceptible to BBA, so regular water changes and filter cleanings are a must (50% weekly and every 3-4 weeks, respectively).....
Have you found that the big water changes and filter cleaning prevents BBA attacks? In general, or just in some cases? This would fit in with some experiences of others, as I recall.

·
Administrator
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you found that the big water changes and filter cleaning prevents BBA attacks? In general, or just in some cases? This would fit in with some experiences of others, as I recall.
In general and yes, for sure. Without all that, I get swamped. Keep up with things and it's hard to find any.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
In general and yes, for sure. Without all that, I get swamped. Keep up with things and it's hard to find any.
My current tank has tended to support that. As I run out of energy to do big water changes and filter cleaning, the smallest mistake with my DIY CO2 has caused a big BBA attack, after months of no algae problems. I may find I have to switch to the Walstad method now that I'm far from being young. Sorry to be off topic! Those are beautiful plants, just not plants I could succeed with.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Can somebody take the image and attach it to the post or post it on image social site?
Posting the image on APC's photo gallery doesn't display for some folks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
@APC_Admin I was using Chrome when I first noticed this thread, never seen the pic.
Cleared cookies cache etc.... and still cannot see the pic, logged in or not.

Tested Microsoft Edge on Win10 a few minutes ago while not logged in and the pic is visible.

It is sad the amount of add activity when not logged in. :(:(:(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts