Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good information about this plant? I have had it growing in my 60-P (high light, ferts, CO2, RO, Aquasoil, etc) for perhaps 6-8 months and sometimes it seems happy, other times it is not so happy... I am looking for more information on exactly what it wants ideally... Googling around I can't seem to find anything relevant.

I think it is an unclassified plant from the river Araguaia in Brazil - probably not even a Rotala... Sells for $5-6 per tiny stem... It looks like a few people on this board have it... What kind of setup do you keep it in?

·
Jedi
676 Posts
I dont have any good information but keep it in similar conditions using Eco Complete.

I first grew it right under the mh bulb, I've since moved it away from direct light and things seemed to go downhill.

I think $6 a stem is funny but it is a slow grower.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here... Mine was getting shaded by a massive Lindernia plant and stunted pretty bad. It seems to like A LOT of light. Also seems to pout if I move it around.

I wonder if it would prefer harder water?

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
I used to have a big bush of it in my 75. It looks like you've hit on what it needs. Lots of everything and no shade. My water was also soft (KH 1 or 2) and I believe it likes that. Other than that, nothing special.

As far as what it is, that's a real mystery. Identifying plants can be pretty hard, but I haven't come up with squat so far on that one. There are only two described Rotalas from South America that I know of: Rotala mexicana (Goias and the other Araguaia/pusilla fall under this) and R. ramosior. I've looked through a vast number of Rotala specimens and in literature and have found nothing matching its description. I'm inclined to think it's from the family Lythraceae, but like you, I'm not sure if it's really a Rotala. Maybe, maybe not. I'm growing some emersed - where it grows a nice olive brown - but haven't flowered it yet. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know how I missed your post Cavan - I would be very interested in a better ID if you get yours to flower.

Thanks all for the posts.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I recently bought some Rotala sp. 'araguaia' from my lFS, which in my opinion is a freaking rare find, I've noticed that they do need a lot of light to help them grow. Mines been in my tank now for about 1 month now, and honestly it is still looking good.

I think this plant is just down right beautiful. Reddish/pinkish tanks have always be a plus for me. This plant, under good lighting condition just looks fantastic. Ill try to get some pictures up when i get around to taking them.

The plant does grow slow however. I think thats why some people on this forums have been selling them for $6 a 3''-4'' stem. I have AS AII and the it seems to just love it. AS gives anyone an instant aquatic green thumb. Everything grows easier in it.

Make sure there are no plants blocking it from light. It's a light Fein. Dosing Iron in the water might help the plant stay healthy. I know red/pink plants tend to need iron dosing every now and then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts