Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was told that this plant was a Rotala sp. of some type, but after looking at diferent pics I am questioning what it really is. I was going to sell it to someone that wanted some rotala but they said they thought it was a Ludwigia of some type. I didn't think so but i'm far from knowing what i'm doing so please let me know. All I know is that in low light it is green and in stronger lighting is is red. Mine only has red on the crowns.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
It's definately a Ludwgia species and not a Rotala. I'll let the experts here decide which one.

On a side note, there is a fair bit of BBA algae on the plants in that tank. That's fine, but just make sure your potential buyers are aware of the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I know, I've been battleing this crap for a while. I use Florish excel on it every day and I reduced the light time on the tank. I haven't had luck with shrimp in the tank to try and eat the algae, they keep disapearing....My clown loaches are my suspect.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Excel is very hard on shrimp, so that is more likely to be the problem. I blamed my Yoyo loaches for the disappearance of my shrimp until I learned that Excel and shrimp are incompatible.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
It looks like it's probably Ludwigia repens x arcuata.

I've used moderate amounts of Excel with shrimp (Amanos, cherries) without issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
It looks like it's probably Ludwigia repens x arcuata.

I've used moderate amounts of Excel with shrimp (Amanos, cherries) without issue.
Dosing per the bottle directions probably doesn't bother them, but "common knowledge" says to use 2 times or more dosage to fight algae.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
I was adding about 12mls per day to my 40 breeder and a similar amount to my 75. In any case, I think that adding Excel should only be regarded as 'the icing on the cake' in much the same way that adding herbivores is, not as a panacea for all algae problems. Megadosing it is both expensive and is indeed risky for some inhabitants. But that's no doubt a topic for another thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.