Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my lovely wife got me a new camera as a wedding present so it's time to start practicing. Here's a shot of Rotala sp. 'pink'.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Beautiful plants and great photos.
I wish I could take pictures like these.

Are these all 4 photos of Rotala sp. 'pink' ?
The last 2 look just like Rotala Indica, that I have, under different lighting.
There are so many different Rotala sps, it's very confusing to me.
Even some Ludwigea and Rotala are confusing.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, those are all Rotala sp. 'pink'. If you seem rotundifolia (indica is incorrect) and sp. 'pink' side by side one is definitely more pink than the other. It is hard to tell from photos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been able to turn my R. rotundifolia BRIGHT pink, and almost orange in some cases by restricting nitrate (no fish, no dosing) and having abundant traces, CO2 and high light. Just be careful, zero nitrates can cause BGA outbreaks.

Anyways, cool new species! I'd love to see how it looks side by side with my rotundifolia. If you dose heavy on the nitrates does it turn bright green or actually stay pink?

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The pink is more pronounced with lower nitrates, though I'm convinced that good lighting and sufficient iron are more important for bringing out reds and pinks in plants.

·
Registered
127 Posts
AaronT said:
The pink is more pronounced with lower nitrates, though I'm convinced that good lighting and sufficient iron are more important for bringing out reds and pinks in plants.
Hello.

Aaron you are correct. I have always high levels of nitrates because my tap water comes like that ( around 20 ppm) so, to me also, high levels of traces plus intensive light are the key to get this colour from Rotala pink. I recently upgraded my lighting from 4 X 55W PC to 4 X 39W T5HO and boy, the plants took off with beatiful colours, especially the red ones!

Regards,
André

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't mean to change the subject but

FazTeAoMar said:
I recently upgraded my lighting from 4 X 55W PC to 4 X 39W T5HO and boy, the plants took off with beatiful colours, especially the red ones!
With high level of nitrate and traces, can you lower the wattage by switching to T5HO and grow plants with better colors?:confused:

Is T5HO that much more intensive than PC?

·
Registered
127 Posts
bombo said:
I don't mean to change the subject but

With high level of nitrate and traces, can you lower the wattage by switching to T5HO and grow plants with better colors?:confused:

Is T5HO that much more intensive than PC?
Yes, in my opinion, T5´s are much more intensive plus, since they have a higher CRI, you see plants with their natural colour. I´m no expert in lighting but I have tried almost everything - T8, PC and now T5 ( I have not tried MH) - and I can tell you for sure that I have never seen my red plants so beautiful the way they are now with T5´s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree with ya
i have a t5 strip for my tank
and the plants are growing like weeds...
it's crazy

tho i still have some troubles with some plants most plants are doing quite well

only down side is you need to wear sunglasses when you open your canopy
LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.