Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one that I haven't seen up on this site yet. It has been in the hobby for some time now.....esp in Japan. It is still rather expensive last time I checked ($10-15 per stem), but others may know better. Thus far it seems to be on the easier side although I have heard some reports of people having a little trouble (expected with rotalas)........way easier than mexicana in my experince! In terms of rotalas, it is a slow grower, actually in terms of any stem plant. It seems to grow keikis off the side when you change the water drastically. The color is bright green, leaves are about as thick as pusilla but way longer and many more per whorl about the same number per whorl as vietnam or hippuris but I haven't sacrificed a plant to count yet. It gets about 1 1/2 - 2" in diameter.

BY FAR MY FAVORITE ROTALA EVER!

Hope you enjoy

Any feedback or comments, please post!

KT

A big thanks goes out to the person who got this for me......you know who you are!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interestingly I found a reference to this plant. If the plant posted is actually verticillaris (I have to take the word of the Japanese on this) then the whole Genus was named after this plant.

According to Christel Kasselmann Rotala (which means wheel) was named for the type species of rotala verticillaris. If this is actually verticillaris I would have to agree.....the leaves do resemble the spokes of a wheel when viewed from above.....now if I can only find the original species description that isn't written in french..........

KT

·
Registered
353 Posts
wait................

did you say rotala mexicana? holding out huh?!?!?!?

jus kidding. serves me right for not going to the meetings or hanging out on APC anymore!

and this verticillaris is pretty nice.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey cousinkenni my new friend! LOL. Just kidding. Cool plant.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Other people don't understand the word "keiki" :p

For those not from Hawaii, Keiki means "child"

beautiful plant btw

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's doing fine in RO. No problems. I find it amongst the easiest Rotala I've ever grown. I'm always expecting some sort of problem, but it's actually ranking amongst the most stable plant I've ever kept, surpassing Jungle val...wow! It has never been susceptible to any algae when other plants have almost been decimated, it has never stunted, has never had any ugly growth patterns, and it has never shown any deficiencies. It just "is" what it is. I have found that it tends to grow slowly, which IMO, isn't a problem. Heck, I've thought about posting a thread concerning why this plant is so resilient.

I have it in my 29g with RO and 1 55/65w bulb & pressurized CO2. Typical nutrient levels & ADA AS substrate.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I agree that it's been one of the easiest Rotalas to keep for me so far. It's growing well in my GH 8 KH 4-5 water (same water source as bigstick120). It was growing well in my old water source too, which was GH 11 and KH 2.

I think the larger stems are reminiscent of a smaller green Pogostemon stellatus.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.