Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the proper name for this plant and why did they recently change it?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Thank you Cavan..

Do you have any pics of the real Verticillaris?

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
I took some really lousy photos with my phone, but it might be better to see if the ones a friend of mine took earlier are better.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I saw the herbarium specimens in person as well and it's a dead ringer for Pogostemon erectum. Whichever species it is the flower is most definitely indicative of a Pogostemon.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Yeah, I keyed it out based on a good botanical description and everything matches. Both that and the Rotala are from the same general area, so it's easy to see how that might have contributed to the confusion.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
This is a really lousy (as usual) photo of a REAL Rotala verticillaris botanical specimen using my camera phone. A friend of mine may have a much better one. The flowers are actually there, but they're very tiny and sessile (right up against the stem). Not all like P. erectum. The specimens are emersed.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquarium-pictures/showimage.php?i=5867&catid=newimages

Note: For some reason, the picture title isn't the way I typed it. I did not capitalize any V. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts