Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be setting up a planted tank here in the next few days, and I want to know if anybody knows how a Royal Pleco will do in there? I think it will do just fine, but does anybody have any experience with these guys? BTW it will be a 30 gal low-tech tank

Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not sure this is a good idea. Panaques (The genus from which Royal Plecs come) are raspers with a fine set of teeth. They are designed to scrape wood and will slowly and methodically mill it away into nothingness. It is not that slow a process as one might think. These teeth will make short work of any leaf that the fish might decide to feed on. I can attest to their plant damaging prowess, witnessing a large A. barteriget rasped to death by a small group of young Panaque suttoni over the course of a week.
These fish also get quite large. Even if the tank is large, imagine an adult Panaque maneuvering through a lush planted aquascape... I know they don't swim much but when they do, they are powerful and clumsy; think bull in a china shop...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would totally agree with Aaron. Panaques have herbovoir tendencies and it doesn't take long for them to chow down a small salad bar (planted tank). The wood eating tendencies are right on . Most plecos need some wood in the diet for digestive help but panaques actually eat this stuff with gusto. This also contributes a whole lot of "mulch" - processed wood, requiring extra good filtration.
As Aaron also mentioned they will end up as bulls in a china shop - having the ability to reach over 12" with an unproportionally large head they really would not fare well in a 30 longterm.

Quick question for Aaron offtopic: Where did you find a group of panaque suttonii ? Any pix :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hehe, I was waiting for someone to ask! This was many years ago while I was in high school. I was a fish geek back then too and would spend a lot of time in the good LFS. suttonii (or suttonorum, whatever they are now called) have not been available for a long time. (afaik) Too bad cause they are pretty awesome, I know of no fish that comes close to it. About six months back, I was notified by my lfs that they had suttonii on order, but it turned out to be just some black panaque, no blue eyes.

To get back on topic, Am JUVENILE Panaque could possibly work with the intentions of moving it when problems arise. i say this only because it is something that i currently do with young Loricariids. I have Sturisoma fry and juvi Pseudacanthicus in one of my planted tanks, both of which will come out when they get to big and rambunctious. The main thing is you'll have to keep an eye on things, once there is evidence of damage, take them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts