Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...has been steadily growing over the past couple of weeks. It's not taken over the tank, as such, just a few leaves here and there and a patch on the rear glass, but I know I need to do something about this real soon. The stuff is a red-brown colour and seems to wipe off fairly easily by hand. Not that that makes me any more secure feeling... Any suggestions? I've introduced a "siesta" period, for an hour, right in middle of the day. I now have a 4.5 on/1 off/4.5 on light cycle. The only fert I have is an LPS bottle of "Plant Food", as well as the obligatory DIY Co2. The tank is 70L and not overstocked at all.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi ghengis,

I had a problem with "rust colored" algae (along with hair and staghorn) about a month after starting my tank. The rust colored algae seemed to form on the tall plants close to my light. Since I had several algae types, I chose to use the Excel treatment outlined here at APC on the following thread:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquarium-algae-control-specific-problems/3806-flourish-excel-got-rid-all-my.html
It is a long thread, but very informative. The "rust colored" algae, along with most of the other types, have disappeared from my tank. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Erythromycin?? My doctor prescribed that last time I had Glandular Fever! Is this a commercially available, ie. LFS, algae remedy? Or something I need to chase online?

That Excel sounds the goods, though. Have heard much about it. Not too sure, though, if it's available in my area... Maybe I'll take a look online.

Cheers, people!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...well, getting back to this topic; I've just upped the lighting factor on the 70. I now have 48w at 10k. As well as a massive growth rate in my plants over the past week, I've also had a monster outbreak of this algae. Admittedly, I've not even attempted to clean the tank for a week, waiting for my new plants and Excel to arrive, but this might give you an idea of what I'm talking about...

...and on the Stricta...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
567 Posts
it seems to me like you just have brown algae. Could be due to not enough lighting. It is patches, easy to scrub off, is like fine.
I wold suggest you up you Co2 because your diffusor doesn't look like it is flowing out much. Maybe to 2-3 BPS, but you don't have a pressurized system. Hope this kinda helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Erirku. You're right about the CO2 flow...I'm nearing the end of the first week of the current DIY mix. It usually starts to slow down at about this stage, before I change it next week. I'm trusting the thoughts presented in this Thread about Excel. Hopefully it, and extra plantlife, will be enough to fight the algae off...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts