Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was utterly ecstatic to get some Cory Hastatus for my 20 gallon el natural and bought 6 from a local breeder. Now a few months later, I only have seen 1 adult left. They all seemed pretty healthy and ranged from juvies to adults.

The only good thing about it was that I spotted 2 cory fry and 1 that has survived up to this point. It's about half an inch long now.

I thought that they were supposed to be very active fish but they would hide from me all the time. As soon as they spot me coming, they'd dart into the back of the tank. Could it be my set up? 78-80 degrees, no filtration, almost 100% plant coverage from rotala to java moss to swords and duckweed. So, I figured they'd have plenty of places to hide and perch but now they are all gone. The weird thing is that they all just disappeared. The tank is so heavily planted that if they died in the back, I won't see them but b/c there are so many plants I never saw an ammonia spike and the water is always zero ammonia, zero nitrates whenever I test it. I also have cherry shrimp in the tank as well and figured if the water went sour, they'd be the first to die. Also have 3 ottos, red fire guppies and the usual assortment of snails.

I've never really seen them eat but figured they'd take care of themselves like all the albino cories I've had. I've been feeding them a mix of crushed flakes, mini hikari wafters, algae wafers, dried blood worms and tubifex. I tend to feed heavily so the shrimp have something to eat after the guppies are done. But they are so shy, did they starve to death? Wouldn't their hunger eventually overcome their shyness?

What am I doing wrong? I'd love to get some more but now I'm not so sure.

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I used to see them come out in groups of 3 or 4 and would see them laying around on leaves in the back of the tank, but now I only see one regularly. The small fry I have doesn't seem too shy. It comes out and doesn't seem to mind me at all.

wow! 20 in a 20 gallon? maybe I should try to get a few more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.