Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else out there have a problem with their sae's eating their ferns? A couple of months ago I had the sae's strip the ferns to where they were looking like algae strands. I thought I'd try it again, and guess what, they're at it again.

I'll also take any ideas on how to change their appetites. :D

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Do you have enough algae in the tank to keep them feed well? If not then you can give them algae wafers to help keep them full. I believe my SAE's started eating on my Bannana plants so I started feeding algae wafers twice a week and the holes in the leaves stopped appearing.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I don't have any visible algae, except for some green spot (knock on wood!). I'll give that a shot Trenac, thanks.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Yes, they certainly need a supplement if there's no algae in the tank or they might move on to other plants too.

However, mine do get algae wafers, etc. and they still mowed down the J. Moss. Even the Silver Dollars (lawn mowers) in another tank don't chow the stuff the way the SAE's do. :?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't know if I can blame it completely on the SAEs however I had problems forever with java moss getting eaten all the time. For some reason however they are leaving my xmas moss alone so that is growing well.

Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
898 Posts
SAEs eat moss! I've always had a problem with that. Though I still
have some SAEs (they do an incredible job on BBA - cleaned up
some C. helferi for me overnight), I don't buy them anymore.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah mine eat moss too. I had a nice moss wall that was slowly getting "mowed" Those buggers are just so hard to catch and remove so I had to rescape to be compatable with them.

As far as feeding them I was feeding them the wafers, but they really like (and so do the shrimp) fresh vegtables and fruit. I'll occationally (once a week or so) put a slice of zuchinni or yellow squash or sweet potato in the tank. I just microwave it first to soften it up and it then even sinks right to the bottom when I throw it in. They also like the rine from melons like honeydew. They very delacatly remove the little of flesh that we miss when we eat it. And then the snails (if you have them) finish the rest off. On a side note it's really amazing to see how this 4" piece is digested by the tank so fast and how nothing is wasted, everything playing it's part in removing it.

Even with feeding them it seemed like for me that once they got a taste of the moss they kept munching, although not as fast. I guess the key is to keep them from doing it in the first place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts