Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight problem at the moment. I just emptied the bucket I use for throwing my trimmings away in and it seems something had been hiding at the bottom of it, under something that had kept it concealed along with the smell. That thing, maybe a snail that had been on a plant, got stuck at the bottom of the bucket and died has let loose one heck of an odor in my room now and it's lingering even after I removed it. I know I can't use an aerosol to get rid of it, not when it's right next to my tanks.
What would be safe to use? The time honored box of baking soda or whatever it is?
Please help, my room smells worse than the garbage can right now...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try wooden matches. Light one or two, let it burn about half-way down, then shake it out and wave it around until it quits smoking/smoldering. Book (paper) matches work, too, but I think the wooden ones smell better. I've found that works for danged near any horrid aroma (including those produced by my wife's dog - he can clear a room) - we keep a box of kitchen matches in the bathroom!

HTH

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thought about the window method, then thought about what my mother would do to me when she saw the heating bill! ;) Baking soda it is then!

Are you kidding me? I love Fins =) Nice little store with all sorts of goodies, and very nice staff. Tom the owner is wonderful, full of advice. Besdies,I just joined the Bucks COunty Aquarium Society and now I get 10% of everything fish and plant related, including the fish and plants themselves! Can you say shopping spree?

I usually end up there once a week on my day of enjoying myself. See if they've got anything intresting and maybe pick up some live CBW for the fishies. Makes em happy as heck. My cories spawn every single time I give them CBWs.

Where you at in Conshohocken?

Hmm...matches...I might try that. I know my mother won't approve though ;) Poor lady, puts up with so much. One match shouldn't set off the smoke detector.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I like that store a lot myself. I used to live in harleysville.....I was about a mile from the store. I just moved to conshy.....about 4 months ago anyway, there isnt anything for fish stores down here. (unless you know of some) I live a couple blocks away from the corner of ridge and bulter. I still make the trek up to FFPC if i need something.....or make the pilgramage to thatpetplace in lacaster if I really need something big.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All things considered, you not that far away actually. for giggles I checked mapquest for Ridge and Butler. It gave me W Ridge Pike & Butler Pike, Conshohocken, PA 19428 as the address found. That the right intersection near you? Bout half an hour away from me (according them). More like 45 minutes.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
How about just rinsing it and putting it outside? Or you could buy another one for a few dollars.... ;-)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually Jan, the first thing I did was get the thing outta my room. The smell just happened to linger =( After a box of baking soda has been sitting open for 6 hours it seems to have dissappeared thankfully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts