Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as PO4 test kits go, is there an advantage to using one of these in favor of the other? Is one better, or easier, or more accurate? The Salifert is a few dollars more, not much though. Seachem $9 to $10 US; Salifert $16 to $17 US. I use AP and Seachem for NO3. They seem to work fine and give me the same reading. I've not yet tried any Salifert kits. I'd like to try to avoid the outlay for Hach or LaMotte, but can if need to.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Scott,

I have not used the Seachem phosphate kit so I can't give you an opinion. However, I have used the Salifert products when I had a reef aquarium. They are excellent and would recommend them highly.

I have been trying to get the owner of Salifert to push his freshwater kits in the US. However, it has been a challenge to get his attention.

I use the LaMotte test myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the RedSea PO4 & NO3+ and I love them to death. Cheap and accurate, never been a problem yet. I used a couple of Seachem "labs" in my marine tank and I love them too, though they are expensive. I have never used Hach or Lamotte, so can't compare.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Art_Giacosa said:
]
I have not used the Seachem phosphate kit so I can't give you an opinion. However, I have used the Salifert products when I had a reef aquarium. They are excellent and would recommend them highly.
Salifert is supplying reagents to an American company, "Kwik-kit" from Marine Enterprises International (MEI). We bought their calcium kit, everything the same as our old Salifert kit.

Having said that, the Salifert PO4 went bad on us when tested against a stock solution.... so even if you find one, I'm not sure it'll be good. I've also read the Seachem and even the LaMotte PO4 is not so hot here, if you really really need to test PO4 I believe Hach makes the only decent test.

Why do you need to test PO4 so badly? I do this, I call the water dept, get an average NO3/PO4 ratio, measure NO3 with a LaMotte and base everything off this reading... saves a test kit, works just fine. Dose N : P 10:1 if N dips below 5ppm.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Jeff, thanks for input. Right now I'm using well water exclusively. I may not "need" a PO4 kit, but I may want one as I keep tinkering with substrate additives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts