Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a notice posted in a pet store in regard to the need of salt in a tropical freshwater aquarium. Then while in Walmart one day I noticed aquarium salt for sale but there were no directions on the box of salt. What can you tell me about adding salt to a freshwater aquarium, how much and how often??? It is strange that I haven't seen a thread on this subject before. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Aquarium Salt,sodium chloride
Ihibitates nitrite toxicity in fish
For treating stress Predissolve the salt
1 Tablespoon of per each 5 gallon
Increase the temp by 4 degrees, max. of 82 degrees F

To treat external parasites (Tricodina, Ich, or Epistylis) 1 TBP/ gallon
½ cups for every 10 U.S. gallons (40 L) of aquarium water.
place the infested fish in the container for 5 to 10 minutes, and then put back into the aquarium. May be repeated in 24 hours.

I found that it causes some but not all plants to melt. Plants I had that were affected by the salt were:anubius, anacharis, and wisteria. I was using it for I had problems with fish getting ich in my tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the helpful info. I sure am glad I checked with you guys before jumping right in and trying some salt.

·
Registered
930 Posts
They will also tell you to run an airstone and put carbon in your filter....(don't)
I know some with planted tanks don't have any filteration. I find using a powerhead in my 29 gallon keeps the BBA, which is a chronic problem, at bay. If you decide to use diy Co2 you need some circulation via an airstone or powerhead.

Some have planted tanks that grow luscious plants with not effort. I think the water have something to do with that. It also depends on the photons emitted from the tubes and the type of plants you have. I have seen luscious tanks where Co2 is injected and no ferts are added. I seem to have to do both for picked the wrong plants for the light I have.

Sometimes, like after you do a major aquascaping or dose medicine in the tank, carbon is beneficial for a few hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts