Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea in my head for a layout. It involves a sand waterfall and a big "lake" of sand. What is the best way to make a sand waterfall with an endless supply of sand? Any ideas much apprciated.

Also, where the hell is the spelling check on this forum?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know that there was an ADA aquascape contest aquarium that had a sand waterfall. I think it was the 2007 contest, if not than it was 2006. I have made a sand bubbler before, just bury the output tube from a powerhead in the sand! The trick is to use a container so the sand falls back onto the tube. Try searching for 'Aquarium sand waterfall', I know someone did a nice writeup on how to do this, but I can't remember what site it was on!

This was sent to me by zer0zax

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up, dawntwister or zer0ax, whoever. It's a little vague, but I did find the page-
file:///C:/Users/Jeremy/Desktop/Creating-A-Waterfall-in-a-Planted-Aquarium.html
Hopefully it will help someone else too.

Has anyone here actually made one of these? Will playsand work? Also what is a good method of removing the bubbles after the sand is raised without messing with the co2?:confused: My idea involves a large portion of the tank being sand anyway, so catching it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw a tank of zer0zax that had a waterfall of blue goo, thus I asked him about it and pasted your question into a pm to him. He sent me the info I posted.

Pasted this in the address area and got page load error.
file:///C:/Users/Jeremy/Desktop/Creating-A-Waterfall-in-a-Planted-Aquarium.html

Googled Creating-A-Waterfall-in-a-Planted-Aquarium and got this:
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/Magazine/Creating-A-Waterfall-in-a-Planted-Aquarium.html
Ya, thats the same thing I saw. Did you read it? Pretty vague. It doesn't really give you anything but the overall concept. I get that, I just wondered what people are using specifically to get this show rollin'. Thanks, dawntwister, we need to get zer0ax in this thread...:yawinkle:

·
Registered
930 Posts
No. I didn't read it. I didn't see any fish in the tank with the blue gue. He is into shrim and you don't always see them.

Here is another link on a sand waterfall. Perhaps he would tell you how he made it.

Another person here is trying to do a sand waterfall.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/sand-waterfall-decor-85465.html

I am just working on getting my plants growing good. Which means I have to brake the tank down and redo the substrate, for I put vege. ferts in it. Hoping replacing it along with addtion diy Co2 will help get rid BBA. Thus I am to busy to do what you are doing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i know this is an old thread but......... i did it as an oops. i have a styro back ground and cut a chanel in it for air hose and small round stone. well when i put it in i have a pool filter sand substrate and when the air pump was turnd on it found where i put an extra piece of styro in to fill it to the top and well with the sand on bottom and the air currint from the stone i made a waterfall

·
Registered
442 Posts
I remember back to the one in the ADA contest that had a sand waterfall. The water fall itself was not sand it was bubbles and he had a bed of white sand under it to simulate the lake. the to cut off the top of the water fall he put a piece of black plastic to have the cut off of the top of the water fall.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Interesting!! Do you have a link to a picture of the tank?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts