Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I do have this plant, how are you getting it to grow? i cant seem to get it to constantly grow. It does well for a little bit, and then it just stops :p very nice and colorful plant :)

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Any ideas on a species name Cavan?
Not yet. I've talked to someone at the University of Florida about this one and he has been most helpful. I just sent him the link to this page. The flower photos should really help. Can you take a few more? Some with good detail of the stamens would be great.

Mine was doing quite well until I moved it. After that, it melted. :| My water is on the soft side, so I guess that may have something to do with it. It seems weird though, that a plant reputed to be from Brazil would prefer harder water.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine is doing just fine, out of one stem I probably have 13 or so. The tank is 2/3 of ro and 1/3 of tap water no problems so far, it grows slowly but doesn't seem to get stunt just yet.
Navarro

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just checked one of my japanese plant books i had just bought this summer and it doesnt give a species name, but it does give a genus name..."Melastomataceae" hope this somehow helps?

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
I've done some asking and have word that this plant is an Acisanthera species. There are five known aquatic species, but I'll have to do some research at a botanical garden to see which one. It won't be easy, but it should be a fun project.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
When Cavan finishes his research, he should get a stem of this species for his efforts---that is, if he is interested. ;)

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Mine is doing just fine, out of one stem I probably have 13 or so. The tank is 2/3 of ro and 1/3 of tap water no problems so far, it grows slowly but doesn't seem to get stunt just yet.
Navarro
Luis,
What specifically are your water parameters? I grew up in Houston, but can't remember how hard the water is. IIRC, it's pretty hard...

ianiwane was generous enough to give me a couple of stems, and like others, I haven't seen very fast growth in my tonina/erio tank. I'm thinking of putting it in a medium soft water tank and see what happens (I only have two stems, I'm a little hesitant to throw them into unknown conditions)

ERiK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.