Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yeah, figure those of us selling plants might as well bag them the night before. I'm opening my basement to anyone who wants to hang out, spellcheck labels, discuss whatever, and eat dinner.

Dinner will be pot luck - please bring a dish of your own to share with the crew.

will be 6;30-9PM in my fishroom.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey I just got that Finnex 4 gallon tank+filter+light. You're welcome to use it in the show. I still have some leftover eco-complete substrate as well, so all I need is a few plants and maybe a fish or a shrimp...

I'll bring it on Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolness. My Mr. Aqua 7.5 bow arrived today as well, so it looks like we've got a couple of tanks to go around. I'll make a mental note to bring a bag of coal slag, too. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Coolness. My Mr. Aqua 7.5 bow arrived today as well, so it looks like we've got a couple of tanks to go around. I'll make a mental note to bring a bag of coal slag, too. :D
Actually, let me get the bag of coal slag from you some other time, if you don't mind... I need to wait a bit as my wife will kill me if I go cluttering up our house with a bunch of unused substrate. :fish:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, I'm going to bring the Finnex tank, some eco-complete, and some pagoda stone that I think would look pretty good as a hardscape in there, but is there anything else I should bring? Should I bring a 5 gallon bucket of treated water, or just some dechlorinator and we'll use the water there? You need any other materials?

Sorry if I don't have a lot of plants and fish to contribute. I guess I could bag my betta and bring him, although I think the filtration in the finnex will blow him right to the side of the tank and stick him there like a fly on the windshield... :D

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be best to bring a bucket of pre-readied water, not sure what the params over at Earthplace are...

As for anything else to bring... yourself and any spare vegetation you may have are all I can think of

I can supply some livestock that's a bit more current-resistant than the betta. :p Maybe 4-5 of my serpae tetras? Or some zebra danios?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Might be best to bring a bucket of pre-readied water, not sure what the params over at Earthplace are...

As for anything else to bring... yourself and any spare vegetation you may have are all I can think of

I can supply some livestock that's a bit more current-resistant than the betta. :p Maybe 4-5 of my serpae tetras? Or some zebra danios?
Serpae tetras would be great. I'll bring a 5 gallon bucket of aged/treated water. Do you have a carpet plant that would look good? I think I can bring a couple extra stems of the staurogyne repens, but my plant selection is extremely limited compared to yours. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm bringing extra plants to use, including carpeting/foreground species. Mostly I just don't tend to plan out aquascapes beforehand (I'm more the spur-of-the-moment type) and so I'm bringing a little of everything and figuring it out when I get there :p

Take your pick: I have Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Eleocharis acicularis, Crypt parva, Hemianthus glomeratus, Micranthemum umbrosum, a bit of Hydrocotyle verticillata 'short form', Staurogyne sp. 'Porto Velho', some of John's Staurogyne repens (I didn't kill it yet!!!!!), Marsilea minuta (or one of the Marsileas, they all look alike to me :p), Rotala mexicana 'Goias' (was thinking of putting that in whatever we use as our Dutch-style display tank), probably a bit of glosso somewhere or other, and probably some other miscellanea that I'm forgetting at the moment :p

·
Registered
147 Posts
On second thought, if you could bring a little bit of coal slag for the Finnex... I'm not positive that I have enough eco-complete yet and I might want to cap it with the coal slag as it should give it a nicer look and be easier to plant in.

Mostly I just don't tend to plan out aquascapes beforehand (I'm more the spur-of-the-moment type) and so I'm bringing a little of everything and figuring it out when I get there :p
As far as plants go, I think like you. If you don't mind, just bring a little bit of everything and I'll try to pick what I think looks good. It's always easier if you have a large selection. If it is too much effort just go with some Hemianthus glomeratus or Micranthemum umbrosum. To be honest, no ground cover is going to fill in only 3 days... :D At least we can show people how you would plant it, with the general idea that a few weeks of good light and ferts will help it fill in.

I think the Staurogyne repens from John would work really well as a mid-ground plant in any tank, dutch or iwagumi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts