Aquatic Plant Forum banner

SCAPE Donations?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  turtlehead 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, paradise/Ed started this thing out by saying he had a few things to donate to SCAPE. These items will be held until a future date can be set and the method of auctioning, rules, etc... can be determined. It will NOT be for the December meeting.

The logistics will be discussed over at the main/private SCAPE forum at Southern California Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts. Please check it often!

I also have a few things...does anyone want to put in a few of their own items to put towards the future of SCAPE?

I (or someone else, it doesn't matter) plan on collecting everything for a future SCAPE meet where everyone can attend. It'll be at this time, SCAPE can hold an auction for members and/or others interested in SCAPE/planted tanks. Everything we make from the equipment/plant/livestock auction can go towards the SCAPE fund so that we'll be able to make ourselves an official non-profit group, get hosting up and finalized, etc...

Please post what items you'd like to donate, and whether you can bring it to the December 2nd meeting or not. I can volunteer to keep all the items, or if you're not comfortable with me holding onto your stuff, then someone else can hold it. :rolleyes:

paradise: Manzanita wood, I believe.
epicfish: Glass diffusers, HOB filters.

See less See more
#2 ·
Who and how will the scape fund be held. Bank? Under a mattress?

Who decides how the money should be spent?

If we do decide to do an auction will only scape members be allowed what happens if a customer is in the store at the time? Who will auction stuff off?...

I thought this was meant to be a rather imformal get together. I think an auction and a scape fund are great ideas but we should be thinking about the politics behind it before any money gets exchanged and possible disagreements occur. Just some things to keep in mind. I think most of us get along well and an established way of handling money is important in keeping it that way.:)

#3 ·
Who and how will the scape fund be held. Bank? Under a mattress?

Who decides how the money should be spent?

If we do decide to do an auction will only scape members be allowed what happens if a customer is in the store at the time? Who will auction stuff off?...

I thought this was meant to be a rather imformal get together. I think an auction and a scape fund are great ideas but we should be thinking about the politics behind it before any money gets exchanged and possible disagreements occur. Just some things to keep in mind. I think most of us get along well and an established way of handling money is important in keeping it that way.:)
Oh, it won't be at this meeting. I'll clarify that in the original post. The date and method is to be determined later. This thread is simply to raise awareness for items that you no longer need and that you'd be willing to donate for SCAPE to auction in the future.

We've been discussing the questions you're raising. For now, let's keep that discussion over at the private SCAPE forums.

#4 ·
The auction and fund raising sounds like a great thing to do.

May I suggest we as a group vote on someone to handle the money. Maybe in a Paypal account. The bank thing will run into some problems with opening an account for a non profit organization as one mentioned.

Also when a group starts to aquire $$$ there needs to be some form of accounting of the funds a every meeting with printed ledgers for review of the account for all members of SCAPE. This will assure that there is no dipping into the account for the new DVD or video game. I have experienced the " Oh I need a few bucks for the week so I'll just take some out of the club fund and put it back when I get my check".

Having auctions for fund raising is a good thing. For instance someone was talking about making SCAPE name tags. The funds can be used to get the materials for them and somebody can volenteer their time to make them up. Or the funds can be used to purchase the AGA Convention DVD 2006 for the startup of a group library.

We should have a little discussion on the fund raising and maybe set a date when everyone wants to make things more official.

As for saving things for the future auction, lets hang on to our own things until a date has been set for this auction. then we bring it to the auction on that day for review and sale.

BTW I was at All About Fish this afternoon and met Kurt. Lots of microrasboras in the tanks and Kurt was unloading lots of new plants he said Scape members wanted. Sound like it will be pretty nice Saturday!!!

#5 ·
aquaphish, all those concerns will be addressed later in January (I believe) when some of us will get together to elect a board.

All the money issues as well as usage issues will be decided on by the board and the CFO will be responsible for accountability.

I already have said that I WILL get involved but ONLY if it's handled SERIOUSLY. I know it's a hobby, but it should be run like a business, so that everyone can enjoy it, knowing they are in good hands.

More on it at SCAPE forum, too much has already been said here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.