Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on which scape to use since I've got a new batch of Seiryu stone.. which scape do you like best? I plan on growing HC and something in the background... any suggestion there would be great... it is an ADA Mini-S

Attachments

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The first and third selection is what I would go with. You will need more aquasoil in the back though. The rocks may be a bit too big for the tank but it is still possible to create a nice scape with the materials you have.

HC seems to be a common foreground plant for these type of scapes. I would try Elatrine triandra or possibly Glossostigma.

Rotala sp. 'green' narrow leaf would look awesome in the background. If you could, try to squeeze in a few small crypts in the mid ground to balance things out.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi spikeit,
I like #1 the best. I try to arrange rocks so the "grain" all slope in the same direction. All of your arrangements utilize a lot of hardscape cutting down on the substrate area you can plant in, is that your intent? I agree with the previous post, more substrate depth is needed overall, and maybe more slope toward the back.
My problem with #2 is it appears the larger end of the center rock is up, very seldom would that occur in nature.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also like #1 best, and think the substrate could be deeper.

I love HC and think it looks great in a nano tank. How about some anubias nana "petite" on the rocks, or in the crevices?

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
The first and third selection is what I would go with. You will need more aquasoil in the back though. The rocks may be a bit too big for the tank but it is still possible to create a nice scape with the materials you have.

HC seems to be a common foreground plant for these type of scapes. I would try Elatrine triandra or possibly Glossostigma.

Rotala sp. 'green' narrow leaf would look awesome in the background. If you could, try to squeeze in a few small crypts in the mid ground to balance things out.
Exactly^^^
#1 is alot of rock, I am leaning towards #3 except I would go hairgrass short and long with HC in the front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like #1 & 33. Althought I like #1 the best, #3 might be your best option for this tank though.
#1 might be a better option for the "next" slightly larger tank, like the Mini L tank.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The first one looks the most balanced, with the other two the largest rock doesn't quite fit in with the other two and is overpowering - IMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Scape opinions? - a vote for more substrate

First of all, you're off to a great start and I'm excited to follow this thread to see what you'll do. There is tremendous potential and I'm sure this will develop into a lovely aquarium.

That said, here's my $.02 worth:

#2 - lacks the visual interest of #s 1 & 3
#1 - rocks over power tank and limit plant options
#3 - interesting layout - more plant options than #1

I agree that you'll be happier if you add more Aquasoil. I have a 3 gallon Pico that has about the same depth of aquasoil that you have - maybe even a bit more than you have - and I wish I had added more to start with.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/19555-albums299-picture1857.html

Aquasoil doesn't "grab" plant roots like denser substrates do, and in order to keep plants like HC in place... especially before they set out decent root systems, you'll need to bury the little plants at least 1/2' into the aquasoil. And starting out with such a shallow depth of substrate make planting a PITA... although it can be done, as you can see.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/19555-albums299-picture1866.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your opinions! I am still tinkering with the scape options since I also have a mini-m that I want to setup.. in that case I am looking to source a mini-m base plate, swap the light out for the mini-m and get an Archea light for the mini-s... also will need more Aquasoil, a couple of diffusers, etc... so stay tuned.. my brother did such a great job with the selection of seiryu stone I've got too many options.. I'll definitely take pics of and post... gain thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agree with the above. I'm partial to hardscape sloping downwards in the middle, drawing you towards the center of the tank; feels like in #2 the center rock would just dominate everything.

Between 1 & 3, I think #1 offers some interesting options if you can work interesting scaping in between the two rocks, utilizing the little cave on the rock on the right. Overall though, I agree with what others have said, that the two rocks in tank 1 are just so large that they really take up most of the planting space.

Not sure I can say anything as precise about #3, although I really like the larger rock on the left as far as its features go. The front rock on the right feels a little flat to me, but perhaps a little repositioning could enhance that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
...also will need ...a couple of diffusers, etc...
Just my $.02, but the only place I enjoy seeing bubbles in a liquid environment is in a Champagne glass. :rolleyes:

I don't use bubble diffusers for several reasons:
1. they are inefficient.
2. they require periodic cleaning - and I'm lazy
3. I don't like the way they look in an aquarium, and
4. I don't like tiny bubbles "clouding up" my view.

I'm just expressing my personal preferences.

I assume that you will use an HOB filter. I'm using an HOB filter on a 3 gallon aquarium as an effective part time** "CO2 reactor," and found that I could achieve excellent CO2 concentrations using less CO2 than the bubble diffuser required. If you are interested, you can check out what I did and how I did it here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showpost.php?p=930188&postcount=39

** By part time, I mean that the CO2 is on only during the photo period.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts