Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got 3 of these guys at one of my LFS. I hope they will eat my small snails but leave my large ones alone. They only get 3 inches. I'm not sure about their disposition. I think I may have made a mistake as they might be a little too territorial. We'll see. May have to get my fish trap back out!!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
If they don't work out, let me know. I could use some snail-eaters and I'm not much worried about territory issues. My rainbowfish would probably enjoy the pursuit! :axe: (heeheehee)

-Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a few of these, or similar species. They are great little fish, love playing in the current. Only aggressive towards each other from what I have seen; and that is only chasing each other away. They have no problem sharing their little pits with my khuli loaches.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Hey Tex and armyoffoo, do your Khuli's eat snails also? I have considered getting some, but only if they will eat some of my many baby ramshorns and trumpets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Tex and armyoffoo, do your Khuli's eat snails also? I have considered getting some, but only if they will eat some of my many baby ramshorns and trumpets.
I drop in pond snails from my 29 gallon and they go nuts for them, between the khulis, these guys, and my sids, it's definitely a free for all once they hit the water. Not sure about ramshorns but if they catch any MTS they eat those too.

TexGal, I took a closer look at mine and they are the same sp. as yours. Here is a site with good info on them. http://www.loaches.com/species-index/schistura-mahnerti

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a couple of these little guys. Very quarrelsome but doesn't bother other tankmates. So far the fights seem to be bluff as I don't see any injuries. They've wiped out my ramshorn and pea snails and harassed the MTS so much that they hide in the gravel all the time.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a couple of these little guys. Very quarrelsome but doesn't bother other tankmates. So far the fights seem to be bluff as I don't see any injuries. They've wiped out my ramshorn and pea snails and harassed the MTS so much that they hide in the gravel all the time.
WhooHoo! :whoo: Just what I want!!!:p

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hate to dredge up an old thread but thought I'd give a warning. I just got some huge Suwalesi snail about 1.5"-1.75". These are much bigger than MTS but have the same body shape. Since my little red-tailed loaches have left my briggs and nerite snails alone I thought these would also be safe. NO WAY.

The first night when the loaches came out they seemed to stay near the snails. I kept a watch just in case I needed to preform a rescue. They didn't bother them. The next night they must have gotten them. I awoke the 2nd day to 2 empty shells. I guess the Suwalesi snail just don't have predators like these so did not know to hide. Anyway... these will eat large Suwalesi snails. Be warned!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss, that's terrible! :scared:

Those loaches really mean business.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts