Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just getting my planted aquarium on the go and i want a group of schooling fish! its a 30 gallon high tank and i already have:

2 clown loaches (2.5 inches)
3 Dojo/weather loaches ( 5-7 inches, i've had them 2 years and they haven't grown at all)
2 tri colour sharks (3 inches)
1 Fair Size Angel
1 swordtail
1 guppy
1 cory catfish

I was thinking of Bleeding heart Tetras, most people have cardinal or neon tetras but i don't really fancy them. Will tetras harm my angelfish, i know they like to nip fins and my angel has long fins. what other fish could i use??

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
i wouldn;t add many more fish in there, it can throw things out of whack with too many.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Jeff, thats a nice Angel you have.

If you want a nice school of Tetras I would remove the Dojo loaches and the Sharks. I would not worry about the Tetras nipping the Angel but the Angel eating the Tetras. What ever Tetras you get make sure they are large enough not to fit into the Angels mouth. Some Tetras I like are: Rummynose, Von Rio, Glow light tetras.

Also I would add 3 more Corys, they prefer company.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Agreed. The tank is at its stocking limits, (some may say even overstocked with the loaches not being suitable for a 30 gallon high). Tetras (neons more specifically), are an angels natural food. While they are timid by cichlid standards, they are still cichlids and love to hunt.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I agree as well (in fact I'm one who will say it's already overstocked). I'd get rid of the sharks, Clown's and even the Angel can't lead a perfect life in a tank so small.
Your Guppy and Swordtail probably aren't the happiest campers being by themselves either.

If you focus on the smaller schooling fish, and get a few more Cory's you'd have a nice tank. :)

If you want to keep your current inhabitants, you need a tank at least 3 times the size you have now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Vastly overstocked and even some of the species you have now shouldn't be kept together, or in the current numbers they are.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ditch the livebearers, sharks and the loaches. Livebearers produce a lot of waste, and sharks are aggresive, they need a much bigger tank..so do the loaches. Angels need a tank depth of about 20" to be happy, try a pair of Rams or Apisto's instead, they are equally, if not more attractive than Angels. A school of Rasboras would be nice, as would a school of Embers. Both don't grow too large, and are very attractive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts