Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first attempt at aquascaping. Obviously I'm not very good at it, but I'm learning and having fun. I posted the first pictures in an earlier post in aquascaping, but now that I'm updating, I decided to just start a journal. Here are the first progressions. Please excuse the poor pics and the equipment. Since the tank is still growing out, I didn't bother with removing anything. The newest pic also has a tomato and a rock with riccia that will not be in the final pic for the tank. let me know what you think

Thanks for looking!
Scouter

I was told to relocate the equipment in this one and the wood. So I shuffled things around and came up with this.

After this pic, I was advised to put more plants in the tank, and thanks to a member on the forum, I was able to add rotala colorata, HM, and didiplis diandra and come to this point.

This is the newest pic. Again, please excuse the tomato! :) I still have some trimming and growing out to do and I am thinking about putting a short foreground of moss over the gravel. most of the stems around the wood's base are longer than I intend, but since I only started with a few of these stems, I am letting them grow long so I can trim and replant them.
Please let me know what you think. Thanks,
Scouter

·
Registered
143 Posts
the overall layout looks very nice. I like it!

·
Registered
930 Posts
You need something on the end of the powerhead or it will get clogged up. You can get small spronge replacements and put floss in it. I put a bottle, with the bottom cut out, at the end of mine and filled it with floss.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks cs, I like it pushed back too. I didn't put a sponge on the powerhead because I want the CO2 to be sucked into the powerhead and diffused around the tank. Since I'm planning on purchasing a eheim 2213 for this tank, the powerhead will be removed anyways, but thanks for the comment dawntwister. Now that I have new ferts- I ran out and haven't been able to replace them for a month, my plants are taking off! Now I just need the rest of my fish, but since I don't have a great filtration system yet, I'll hold off till my eheim gets here. Anyone know about how long I should let the new filter run before I add my next batch of livestock?(12 ember tetras and 6 amano shrimp) Thanks
Scouter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here's an update. After 1 broken filter due to poor shipping, my new eheim is enroute and should be here this week. YAY! So my next project is to make a DIY inline heater to get that equipment out of the way. My plants have been struggling because of one of my bulbs going out but thankfully my new bulbs came today so after the new growth I'll post a pic(probably this weekend). Next week I will hopefully have my livestock in too!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As promised,

I do need to clean out the gsa on the glass, and I will be planning on trimming the rotala colorata down a little. I'm currently debating on if I should keep the bolbitis or plant some bylxa and more rotala or HM. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Scouter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Unfortunately I removed the bolbitis today. It was attracting algae and suffering from a deficiency that I couldn't figure out, so I'll be putting it in a recovery tank and then piece it out to my nanos. I am planning on doing a moss/epiphyte only 1'x1' cube so this will come in handy. I actually like the new look and I think with some growing in, it will be a more coherent scape. It also allows me to grow a little more blyxa which is turning pink and is too nice to confine to only the left side! I'll post a pic of the changes later as the "night cycle" has started and its too dark.

Thanks for the comment though!- I was pretty sure I was the only one following my thread!
Scouter

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
You're probably right that having blyxa on both sides will help tie it together. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks.

My bolbitis grows best when it's in an area with good water flow. It doesn't have to be right in front of the filter outflow, but it does seem to prefer water movement. I occasionally remove older leaves as they can get a bit scruffy looking and accumulate some algae. It's more prone to algae when it's close to the light.

Have you started the moss/epiphyte cube yet or is it a future project? Sounds like great idea.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The moss/epiphyte only tank is a future plan. Most likely it will be something for the spring- I still need to actually build the tank.

PS, I'll post pics in a week or so to give the plants a little time to grow in.

Scouter

·
Registered
930 Posts
Now I just need the rest of my fish, but since I don't have a great filtration system yet, I'll hold off till my eheim gets here.
I have found that some people don't use a filter in a planted tank. Found out from Hoppycalif that with Co2 injected you need more circulation. Have found that increased circulation from powerhead helps keep BBA at bay in my tank.

I saw someone fix up diy Co2 with powerhead in a manner that the powerhead would also circulate the water. It was done with a tube on the intake of the powerhead. In the tube a sponge was placed and then the Co2 output tube placed under the sponge through a hole. The tube was capped at the end, which uncertain if necessary.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I got my livestock today! I also turned my failed external heater housing into a CO2 reactor so at least I have some equipment out of the tank.
That sounds interesting. How did you do that? I can't envision it for my heaters don't put off any circulation which a reactor needs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I took the external heater housing in this pic,

and placed the CO2 tube into the end and had the intake from my canister filter come into the long end of the T and go out the bottom of the T. This way, when the long end is placed vertically, the intake points downward and the CO2 bubbles need to fight the current in order to rise. The water dissolves the bubbles and flows out the short end into the tank. For a while, it was pretty noisy, but now I've either got use to it or its gotten better.

Scouter

PS I'll post some pics of the tank tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As promised, here's an update. Sorry about the image, I'm still trying to figure out this camera. I assure you that the colors are much brighter and more vibrant. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to take pics that are truer to the actual colors/lighting.

Thanks for viewing and comments are encouraged!
Scouter

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
It's looking good. The stems on the right are a nice balance to the left and they do suit the look of the tank better than the fern. The poof of green front and center is rather distracting. Is it something attached to a rock? I think it would be better suited placed either to one side of the tank or the other and a bit further back from the glass so it isn't pressed up against it. Other than that it's filling in very nicely.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yhea that's my volunteer riccia that I don't know what to do with. Right now I have it just attached to a rock, but I don't know if I'll cover the rock path with it or get rid of it. Any opinions on a riccia foreground? Thanks,
Scouter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts