Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
612 Posts
I tried an early version of that a while back. the one I tried was for a yard light, it had good output but needs a good reflector. I found that the ballasts had a design flaw in the inductor, it put 700 Volts across the windings with only varnished wire. needless to say it didn't last very long. Also Heat was an issue with all the tube in such a small space it got very hot.

This one is a different brand so hopefully the ballast is a better design and in a hanging pendant it may work good. but by the time you get a good enough pendant reflector your cost will be a lot higher.

Brian

· Registered
612 Posts
Something to think about, This is all hypothetical, 105 watt spiral, probably 50% loss to re-strike inside the tube. equivalent to 50 Watt tube with reflector.

105WCF $31.00 50 Watt with unknown cost reflector. $31.00 + reflector
Bulb replacement cost $31.00

32W T-8 $6.00 Replacement 4 tube ballast $18.00 4X overdriven t-8 ~50 Watts with fairly cheap reflector $24.00 + Reflector
Bulb replacement cost $6.00

The efficiency of the t-8 setup is better because you are not wasting 50W on re-strike so the cost of operation will be theoretically 1/2. None of these numbers are real they are for example only

This is why I gave up on my fixture with the big lights. I have 4 2X overdriven 32W T-8's and it puts out far more light than the two 100 W CF's I tried.

Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.