Aquatic Plant Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Like I said, I'm just too anxious (paranoid) trying that one out with the small kiddo around the house... So, it's me who has the problem LOL And yes, I've read Excel's MSDS and I agree they both have same side effects though I'd rather prefer the weaker concentration rather than the higher one if ever my daughter, knock on the wood, get her hands on the bottle...

But I'm open to suggestions and ideas on how to use/keep Metricide hazard-free for everyone :)... I just read a thread about puncturing a hole to the bottle cap, to keep metricide sealed, and putting in tubes and just using syringe to draw out the liquid... I might try that and do a DIY experiment with my remaining Excel 1/2 gal bottle and see how it goes...

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I still think a childproof cap would be enough to protect her, but that's just my opinion... I don't have kids, admittedly, but I practically half-raised my brother, given that he's 10 years younger. And two sisters inbetween us... haven't managed to poison any of them (yet)! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi K,

Maybe another member can keep the Glut at their place and it is mixed up as needed.

The concentration of glutaraldehyde in Excel is 1.5%. The 1 liter 50% concentration will allow me to make 33.333 liters of 1.5% glutaraldehyde at a cost of $1.657 per liter.
BTW, that included freight!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hmmm, good idea SA, thanks... We'll talk about this on our club meeting this month...

Another solution I just figured out is to go forward with our project this year, buy a shed!!! So I could store my aquarium stuff in there too aside from the mower, garden/power tools... :)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I agree, that's a great idea. :)

And khanzer, I think a shed is a wonderful solution :D You can store all sorts of things in a shed, and even lock it up when you're not using it to keep your daughter safe.
(Personally, I want to build a heated greenhouse where I can grow plants in the sun all year, but Dad isn't too keen on the idea. Something about practical concerns and inflating the electrical bill even more than I already do... I did offer to pay for it, but he's just stubborn like that. :p)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi khanzer22,

LOL! I have heard of our hobby leading to a "Fish Room" in the past.....but this is the first time I think it has lead to a "Fish Shed"!!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
LOL, you are right! I've heard of 'fish garage room' but not 'fish shed'...

I guess my motto is: If you're 110% dedicated to the hobby, you have to be resourceful! So if you can't have a fish room, don't have a garage, use a shed haha...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I wish I could but I tiled the basement (last year) so that I could setup my 'soon-to-be' Home Entertainment System room / playroom (me and the kid) haha... So, only the 120gal tank is allowed when we clean/clear out the basement... Too many plans/projects, huh?! That's what you get owning a home, it never ends!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I don't even own my home and I still get caught up in all the projects and planning and whatnot. :p

Still, just wait 'til your kid grows up ;) There's another term for offspring in my household: Free Labor. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
You'll know what I mean when that time comes ;)

Haha, your the eldest so you get the advantage!
You assume that I'll ever make enough money as a starving artist that I'll someday end up buying a home :mrgreen:

And being older just means I'm more likely to get commandeered for the messy jobs or ones involving heavy lifting, planning, or driving. Or tree-shopping. Oh, the tree shopping. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
XD Perhaps, but I'm an incurable pessimist.

BTW, any idea if we're having a club meeting this weekend? I sent a PM to Michael the other day but haven't yet gotten a response...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I'm interested, depending on the pump's price :)... Would like to try and make a DIY autodoser for my 37gal tank...

41 - 58 of 58 Posts