Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used Seachem Tidal Gray Marine substrate for a freshwater planted aquarium??

I have flourite as a substrate now and I'm thinking of layering it up with this tidal calcite to increase the depth. I got this for a cheaper price ($6) for a 22 lb bag.

The bag says that it can be used for tropical aquaria but has anyone ever used it? Do you think it'll be beneficial for the plants?

Please don't hold back on your replies.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not the best choice for a planted tank- very high in carbonates and designed to raise and buffer the hardness/pH in a tank. Most plants prefer a neutral if not acidic pH, and some plants can only be kept in very soft water. If you're going with a Seachem product, the Onyx sand or Fluorite products are the ones that would be much more appropriate for a planted tank.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
That's true. A Seachem rep told me that Onyx Sand and GCC are the exact same product but in different bags of differing sizes. Marketing ...

You can usually find GCC cheaper per kg than Onyx Sand.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yet Seachem compares GCC's buffering capabilities to aragonite? That's on the extreme side... I certainly wouldn't want an aragonite substrate in a planted tank. :-s

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I called Seachem ... the rep told me that they are identical. It's just in different bags. You can practically see that they have the same amounts of elements listed in their CN.
Onyx Sand:
Concentration of nutrients in Onyx Sand™
Aluminum 822
Barium 5
Calcium 197500
Cobalt 4
Chromium 10
copper 4
Iron 2846
Potassium 417
Magnesium 115400
Manganese 43
Sodium 135
Nickel 7
Vanadium 8
Zinc 23

Gray Coast Calcite:
Elemental Concentrations in Gray Coast™
Calcium 197,500
Cobalt 4
Iron 2876
Potassium 417
Magnesium 115400
Manganese 43
Molybdenum 6
Strontium 63
Vanadium 7
Zinc 23

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you guys for your replies.

I didn't want to risk my tank by adding the GC Calcite. So I went with the plain old "Play Sand" as a top layer. But I'm concerned about the depth of the sand. I now have around 1 in of sand on top of flourite. Do you think that's too deep to grow HC?

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.