Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all, i wanted to replace the needle valve, bubble counter assembly with a manifold and dual bubble counters and needle valves. i've got a Milwaukee ma957.

is my best option teflon tape, pipe dope or some other substance i'm not aware of?

appreciate any knowledge,
darryl

·
Registered
200 Posts
Teflon tape for sure, but there is a special type for gas fittings, usually packaged on a yellow roll rather than a blue one (the tape is still white though) It offers a finer seal than the type intended for water use, usually costs around 1.50 a roll and is sold at all the big boxes wherever the gas line fittings are.

·
Registered
252 Posts
A pipe fitter at work told me about a product they prefer because the teflon tape can break off in tiny pieces and clog something like a needle valve. The stuff they told me to buy is called: Master Plumber Yellow Formula 55 Thread Seal (for gas applications). It comes in a 1 fl oz. tube and is gel or liquid that you apply to the threads. I got it at my local HARDWARE store, not that you couldn't find it elsewhere.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys, i've heard the shredding teflon tape issue before. Manwithnofish, does that stuff somewhat "glue" the threads? looks like there's almost a glue substance between the solenoid and needle valve when they're originally put together. i wonder if that's what it is?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, I can't say that I've used this a lot and then removed it, so I'm no expert. Having said that, I don't believe it's an adhesive although there may be some adhesion. I think I undid a couple of my connections after they dried and did not have an issue getting it to unthread easily. Here's the directions on the back of the tube:

Directions: brushable paste dries slowly, non-harding, withstands gas pressue to 3,000 PSI, liquid pressure to 6,000 PSI -50 dF to +400 dF. Contains no halogens. Use on pipes carrying air, dilute acids, ammonia, alphatic solvents, brine, CO2, oils, coal, propane, Freon, Gasoline, helium gas, hydrogen, jet fuel, kerosene, LP gas, natural gas, petroleum solvents, steam or water systems. Stir contents :)confused:) then apply to clean male pipe threads on metals, PVC, CPVC, ABS, polypropylene and nylon. Lubricates as it seals: prevents corrosion and seizing of threads.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
No teflon will not glue the treads it just fill's in the gaps. If you use it right you will have no problem but most use way to much. A liquid sealer is the best you can also use thread sealer sold at you local auto parts store. This system is fairly low pressure after the regulator and it has low heat so you have a lot of options. What ever you use use it sparingly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts