Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned an aquarium store until it was closed by COVID. We had only been open a couple weeks when we were shut down by the state.

This tank was one of the tanks we sold plants out of:

Plant Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle

To get a sense of scale, here is the tank the day we found it covered in dust strapped to a pole:
Wood Tradesman Beam Carpenter Building

He's holding a 4 foot T square. :)

It is 12 foot long by 18 tall by 16 deep. I sold it when the store closed and the guy couldn't set it up so I am getting it back to setup planted again.
A good friend breeds discus and angels and is supplying me with 5 of each very beautiful fish. I will source the smaller fish I want.

The building will also house a red sea reefer 625XXL with a reef in it. I may also setup a couple tanks for plant grow out and coral fragging.

I have 3 3d printers going in the building as well with a seating area.

I will keep track of the build here if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Sorry for the store closing. The long tank should be fun to watch schooling fish go back and forth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the store closing. The long tank should be fun to watch schooling fish go back and forth.
Thanks. That's the thought is the discus and angels will form schools. There were 36 panda cories in it in the store and shoaled along the bottom. Was really cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The building should be here the third week of October.

I am gathering equipment and need some advice. What CO2 diffuser(s) should I use? Since it's such a long tank, I am using two canister filters with the outputs at the opposite end of the inputs. I imagine I would need two or possible three diffusers but also thought about inline as well.

Thoughts?

BTW, I am going with a 1/2" layer of topsoil, covered by pool sand about 2" deep. We did this at the store and the growth was impressive but, some plants needed CO2 and we never got to install a setup for it.

Lighting will be 6500K LED with possibly some additional red thrown in.

I really am, honestly, more excited about a 10x20 building in the backyard than I ever was about the store and that's saying something because the store was a lifelong dream.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that I work for the company who manufactures high pressure cylinders. I have a 20 cu. ft. spun aluminum CO2 tank and just ordered a regulator with a solenoid. If, I am running out of CO2 quickly, then I will get either a second tank to have on hand or, go up to a custom made cylinder in the 40-80 cu. ft. range. Although, given the aquarium only holds about 144 gallons, I can't see it running out that often.

My wife was selling her house finally. (long story) and, while cleaning up stuff, found an unopened 100' box of 12/2 w/ground wire and a partial 100' box of 14/2 w/ground. Now, if you have priced wire lately, you know how much of a savings this is. Score! I also found a box of outlets, boxes and cover plates from the remodel of the store including two GFCI, so, again, more savings. I only need to buy two switches and cover plates for them and the small breaker panel and the electrical is all acquired. :)

I have a bunch of 4 foot led tubes for the overhead lighting although I won't be using many because There will be custom led lighting over the desk and a table lamp in the seating area. Basically, the overhead lighting will just be for cleaning day.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You can build a CO2 reactor that plumbs in line with the canister output. You can get a 20lbs CO2 tank and inject about 15-20ppm. No need to go for 40ppm. That should last you for a while. I do that for my 75G and it has been a year and I have about half a tank left.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had to close my store years ago s well so I feel for you s well. For me it was a combo of online sales and Sept 11th slump the slowed my business down.

You tank is about 180 gallons and would look great planted with about a 18 Discus. Another great combo would be about 3 dozen Rainbow fish of different varieties in a planted tank.. In either case you can go with CO's andnot worry about the pH droping below what the fish are comfortable with, yet be able to grow the more colorful plants that are difficult to keep without the CO2.

Reactions: dantimdad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to close my store years ago s well so I feel for you s well. For me it was a combo of online sales and Sept 11th slump the slowed my business down.

You tank is about 180 gallons and would look great planted with about a 18 Discus. Another great combo would be about 3 dozen Rainbow fish of different varieties in a planted tank.. In either case you can go with CO's andnot worry about the pH droping below what the fish are comfortable with, yet be able to grow the more colorful plants that are difficult to keep without the CO2.
The glass is so thick (3/4") it's actually about 145 gallons. Amazing how heavy this tank is. The dock weight was 880 pounds on two pallets with only strapping.

Sorry to hear about your store as well.

The discus are going to be beautiful as well as the angels. I have thought about rainbows as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those are great dimensions for a tank.

Have you reinforced the floor under the 145 tank? I have a 180 and had do it when we built my office/fish room.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are great dimensions for a tank.

Have you reinforced the floor under the 145 tank? I have a 180 and had do it when we built my office/fish room.
The building isn't done yet but, yes, we plan on reinforcing under it. I spoke with the place building it and they said, as long as I am at home to help when they deliver, they will help put concrete pavers with piers on top every joist on that side of the building and in several spots under the end where the 625xxl red sea reefer is going. I have to buy the supports but it will be good to have help and a forklift to do it with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts