Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Pots serve the function of separating your different plant species, especially with often similar looking emmersed cryptocorynes. I use a white, plastic label for each pot in use with the name of the plant and the date I added it to the setup.

I used Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil to fill up the pots (relatively cheap, inert media). I then placed the pot sheets into the tray. I slowly poured in water (containing recommended doses of hydroponics fertilizer) until it just barely covered the top surface of the media.

I changed 100% of the water every two weeks to prevent any nutrient build up and "reset" the nutrient levels in the water.

I successfully grow (in the summer):
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Red'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Rose'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
Cryptocoryne walkeri
Cryptocoryne undulata

I actually grew all of these to a sellable size, about 4-6" tall, which were very robust and healthy using this method. I think most of the more common Cryptocorynes should do well. However, I wouldn't try growing any of the rarer or more specialized crypts in such a general setup as this one.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Justin,

For the more finicky species, I really don't know. I don't plan on getting really exotic cryptocorynes (not that I would be able to, anyways). :)

I would just research on the particular species, making a substrate mixture just for that plant. I would probably grow it in a pot separate from the other more common crypts and keep the humidity high.

Carlos

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.