Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
propagation trays

Carlos had a 48 pot tray. He said he'd go with 32 pot trays next time. I guess they have more room. That comes out to 2.5 inch square pots; 32 will fit in a 10 x 20 tray.

I picked up 96 2.5 inch square deep pots from the nursery for 7 cents each. 32 fit in a flat propagation tray. I have been cutting about 5/8 inch off of the top of them because they are so deep, still plenty of room.

I have been using 1/3 each of top soil, sphagnum moss and sand. I also made my own hydroponics fertilizer at:
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Chemicals/chemicals.html#A Hydroponic Fertilizer Formula

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hydroponics

I think the whole idea of hydroponics is to have the bottom of the pot soaking up fertilized fluid. I think I remember Carlos saying his tray was Styrofoam so it floated on the water. Three-quarters inch of water with the pot sitting in it should be fine. I have seen more complicated setups where the fluid is pumped into the pots and then drips out into a recirculating tray. My mix is quite peat-like and it is quite moist.

I would skip the slow release fertilizer and the laterite. Once the water hits the fertiizer pellets I think it will activate. I think the Iron should be in the water so I would also skip the laterite. Is that formula for dry pots?

Don't forget HeyPK's soda bottles. Hopefully he should pop in soon and make some comments on this.

Steve Pituch

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.