Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Setting up a tray/dome setup similar to Carlos's!! I got the tray and the dome, but I didn't get pots or a substrate.

Wondering to those who keep the emersed setups, what substrate are you using, pots or no pots? What would you reccomend? I want to grow crypts primarily. I am not sure if I will fertilize yet, as not sure what substrate I will use....

I bought a heating pad to heat my tray, and plan to use 1x65W CF per tray as lighting, as I don't have acess to warm temps or a nice source of sunlight here at home.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder how much water Carlos had in the tray, if he even kept the pots covered with water, or just kept the soil moist....

I found a recipe from Australia for a Crypt substrate..

7parts Fine rinsed Sand
1part Peat
1part Laterite
1part Potting Soil
1 handfull slow release ferts

Opinions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just have not figured out who is using hydroponics, and who is using hydroponic products in an emerged setup. Maybe that is the confusion?

Or is it everyone is growing the plants in thier emerged form, by whatever means they prefer, so what they do is inconsequential?

I think the whole idea of hydroponics is soiless growing. I could be wrong though. There are a couple products that use soil, so who knows! Either way, I think the amount of water has a lot to do with the nutrient delivery system. If you use a nutrient rich media to grow, you don't need a nutrient delivery system. If you use a media that only supports root growth, you need the water to deliver nutrients, hence the recirculation systems.

The recipe I quoted above is said to be effective in providing all nutrients the Crypts require in either submerged or emersed conditions.

I guess the question of the day is, can crypts be grown with only thier roots in the water? I was under the impression they need some type of water covering, perhaps an inch in the bottom of the tray is enough, maybe they need thier rhizome needs to be covered as well...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carlos,

Why do you feel this setup is inadequate to grow anything but the common types of crypts?

I want to grow the C. albida I have in a friends tank, as well as try my hand at flowering a few species I have to ID them. My setup would be hopefully simple but not so simple as to limit what I could grow....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What if I covered the bottom 1/8th of the pot with peat, and Flourite in the rest, then kept the water stocked with all the appropriate nutrients, and change the water to reset the level as often as needed....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I am gonna go with what I have easy acess to, sand and peat.

The lights are 2x65W CF and a heat mat over a 20x10 tray with High lid. Pics to come as I make the box to hold it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.