Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I find it interesting that you all are wrapping your plants in damp paper towels or newspaper. I have always felt that this expedited the whole melting process. I think dehydrated plants are better than keeping them moist and smothered, risking damage to the plant tissue. When I worked at a pet store, we would get plants from florida to sinagpore and none of these shipments ever came in with the plants wrapped in paper. On occasion, there were rotten bunches but for the most part, everything was pretty good. I got L. sp. Pantanal sp. cuba and Pogostemon Helferi (Downoi) shipped to me from singapore with no problems which were shipped in air filled bags with little water. I also carried several different species of Tonina throughout Japan and Hong Kong for over a week and got them home just fine. I guess all this means is that the shipping methods used are not what is leading to the demise of these plants. It probably has to do more with the condition of the plants when they were packed than anything.

As far as melted stems go, I cut off as much of the rotten area off and float the plant under dim or ambient light. I don't know why or where I got this from but it does seem to slow down stem rot. Something that I have always wanted to try was dipping the cut end of the stem in rooting hormone to get the plant started.

By the way, I shipped out L. sp. Pantanal on Monday to someone and it should get to them today. Hopefully they"ll make it okay. All this talk is making me nervous...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts