Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

Wonderful tip! I'm going to get right on this!
thanks!
-Jane

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have to give credit for the idea to a lady I know on our goldfish board. She recently sent me some fish and I was in awe of the ice chest cuz I HATE making insulated boxes. LOL

So far I haven't had any luck with the vets I've called. They told me to hit the larger vet practices. I wonder if the big chain pharmacies would have any.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Are these standard sizes? Will they fit in a priority mail box?
I don't know the answer to that question.

But I do know that I scheduled a pickup at my house for the Post Office at USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) and set it up being 1 lb (I guessed) which cost $4.10 and marked PRIORITY on the box and they took it. They even left me a THANK YOU note! My mailman has NEVER done that before.

epicfish, let us know how it works for you.

I have no clue what they would say at the clerks counter at the US Post Office. I assume it is fine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you live near a university, most biology, biochemistry, microbiology, etc. labs will have plenty of these. We get enzymes shipped to us with them. We also have cold packs on hand. If you call the main office of the department, they should be able to help you.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Six, I love your website with photos.

But in Upstate New York, those plants would be ice cubes by the time they got to where they are going.

(Or after they sit in someone's mailbox until they get home.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you live near a university, most biology, biochemistry, microbiology, etc. labs will have plenty of these. We get enzymes shipped to us with them. We also have cold packs on hand. If you call the main office of the department, they should be able to help you.
I live In RI near Some major collages in Providence, RIC I think has a huge BioMed department. If what you are saying is right I'll never need to buy styro boxes again? Great tip if Somehow I can get them!:p thanks!

-Andrew

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi
Is their someone in Hawaii that can help in testing a shipment method.
I will send 10 stems of stargrass packed all different ways in the same box
and this person can report back to us the condition of the plants
Thanks Robert

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I am currently testing the styrofoam vets' office box method with a shipment going to a friend in Western Virginia. I am using the scientific method of crossing my fingers. Let's see how this works. [smilie=n:
Also, I labelled my box - Please protect from the cold and freezing temperatures - on four sides of the box. I am hoping that it is taking longer because they are giving my 10 oz. shipment 'extra attention' and not just because it got 'stuck' in the Christmas rush of shipments. If anyone else would like to join me in the scientific method of crossing your fingers, please feel free. I also strongly encourage the thoughts, feeling, opinions and idea of hope and a healthy sense of humor. Enjoy. And when all else fails, enjoy the giggling and laughing of a six year old and learn that we should all stop taking ourselves so seriously. [smilie=n:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I live In RI near Some major collages in Providence, RIC I think has a huge BioMed department. If what you are saying is right I'll never need to buy styro boxes again? Great tip if Somehow I can get them!:p thanks!

-Andrew
I can second the comment about these insulated shippers being everywhere. At my school there's an area where they boxes are always left to be disposed of and there's always styro boxes that were used to ship things like enzymes and samples in. It's really good because usually there are the styro boxes AND the cardboard box it fits into. They're like the perfect size for shipping plants/shrimp as well.

And free!! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
FobbyBobby23, that sounds great! Let us know how that works out.

I will let you know that the boxes I used are not fool proof. I recently sent one to Virginia and shipped out on a Monday. I expected it to get there by Thursday or Friday. It got there by the following Monday. I was not happy about that. Plants were cold by the time they arrived. They had been in the dark and cold, even in a ziplock bag inflated relatively tight inside the 1 inch styrofoam. The person I shipped to was kind to me, and pointed out that it was during December during the holiday shipping season for the United States Postal Service. I had sent it PRIORITY and marked it on the outside, 'Protect from Cold'. Oh well, you learn. I wonder if it would be similar or different shipping during the cold weather, BUT after the holidays?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wrote this up on my makeshift web site: hope it helps!

Sixy Reef | ... where bordom and insanity meet...
Nice job, I've been meaning to do that!

Just one comment.... People try and avoid the baggies with the little thing you pull across, the seal isn't usually as good as the Zip-Lock freezer bags. I had some of the bags in the picture and learned it the hard way... Also just under where it seals tends to break.

Just a warning. I personally only trust thick baggies with good locks! Zip-lock Freezer baggies are the way to go, around $4 for 20:D

-Andrew

·
Registered
414 Posts
if you want to have the package picked up from your house do you have to leave it outside or will they knock on your door? Also how do you go about paying for it. I didnt see prepaid boxes online just the envelopes. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
if you want to have the package picked up from your house do you have to leave it outside or will they knock on your door? Also how do you go about paying for it. I didnt see prepaid boxes online just the envelopes. Thanks.
You can use Click and ship on the USPS site or ship through paypal

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ship all my plants out in filter floss. I've been recomending this to people for a while. Ask anyone who has recieved plants from me in this maner. It looks like you have just taken them out of the tank. Even after 4-5 days.
I recently received plants from Ian and thought the filter floss was a great idea. The plants were in perfect condition.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.