Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Now that the holidays are over, if I ship out on a Monday - there is NO WAY my shipment would go past the weekend ANY WHERE in the U.S. - is there?

In this cold weather I don't want to repeat what happened last time in December with my box sitting in a Postal Truck over the weekend...... and getting cold.

What do y'all think?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Now that the holidays are over, if I ship out on a Monday - there is NO WAY my shipment would go past the weekend ANY WHERE in the U.S. - is there?

In this cold weather I don't want to repeat what happened last time in December with my box sitting in a Postal Truck over the weekend...... and getting cold.

What do y'all think?
Hey Jim,

To completely rule it out would be IMO having a little to much confidence in the USPS. They usually deliver when promised but I have had priority shipments get lost in the mail for a week or more and it happens in no particular time frame.
Still I have to say that I like USPS best of all the shipping methods I have tried.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
So Glitch (Brian), if I use the 9 digit zip code I should be okay, correct?

And realizing that even with perfect packaging, there are no guarantees.

Maybe I can ship from my area with -20 degrees wind chill outside.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does the USPS ship priority packages during the weekend? Satuday is by far the best time for me to ship stuff, but I don't want it to sit at the post office all Sunday.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Using the flat rate priority envelope and the video box (both free to order) you can ship anything for $4.05 Until they wise up about it and change the rules in the domestic mail manual, its a perfectly legit way of shipping something. That box will fit in the envelope, so you can have the safety of a box at the price of an envelope.:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
To get the free boxes you have to order them online and order either 10 boxes or multiples of 25 boxes.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Shoot!

And I ALMOST ordered them online... and then I thought about my wife cleaning the house and commenting on 'clutter'. So I decided to wait until I got the the Post Office.

Well, now I know!

Thank you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You could just go to your Walmart and pick up a box, they're generally less expensive that way. I was able to pick up a 6"x6"x6" box for $0.77 there the other day for an Overnight Shipment (since Priority boxes can't be used for Express shipments and there aren't nearly as many good box options for Express Shipping).

I'd definately go with a box, even they are only $4.05 shipped USPS Priority if you keep the weight under 1lb and don't use the flat rate boxes.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
(since Priority boxes can't be used for Express shipments and there aren't nearly as many good box options for Express Shipping).
For express shipping I just turn the priority box inside out.....and slap on an express sticker and tada.....ready for pickup.

Darn ebay and there live animal express shipping policy!:twitch:

·
Registered
194 Posts
For express shipping I just turn the priority box inside out.....and slap on an express sticker and tada.....ready for pickup.
Well that's most certainly a creative way around the USPS requirements on the usage of their boxes. Unfortunately I think I'm too honest for my own good, and will be unlikely to use this method to allow myself to use those boxes for Express and/or International shipments.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Does anyone know how much they cost at the post office then?
The people at my post office always give out the priority boxes and envelopes for free. (Even the tyvec envelope used to create hoppy's DIY CO2 checker. :p )

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
I recently recieved an overseas order of liverwort and moss. They were shipped in flat, very small zipped locked bags. That seemed to work fine, but they were packed in just an envelope for a 12 day transit. Is this really a good way to ship? 2/3 of my order died and were obviously smooshed going through the USPS mail center.
I would have used cardboard or a box at least. There was nothing protecting the plants.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.