Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I've shipped many plants and really don't want to discuss how you package the plants (there's a good thread in the F/S forum), but I have avoided making it a habit because it's such a pain for me to dig around the house to find a box, go into work, leave work and hit the post office, wait in line, have them ask me to use their box, fill out the address on their card, try and get back to work before lunch is over, yada yada yada...

So I've avoided it - then realized I've probably thrown away over $1000 (OK, conservatively, $500) worth of plants to that great-tall-gray-plastic-urn :prayer: in the garage.

What's the simple way to do this?

(I've got about 2sf of a. nana mini I'm about to trash, and just don't have the heart...)

Thanks,

- Jeff

·
Registered
697 Posts
i think it comes down to pre planning on your part, and having a good supply of USPS boxes and shipping material on hand, so you don't need to rip apart your original packaging.

you also need to work out how long after the plants have been trimmed, that they're ready to be trimmed again. if you have plants that grow like weeds, you have maybe 2-3 days before you're good to start notifying people of a new batch to be shipped out. the same for slower growing plants, where you might have a week or two before you can start notifying people.

depending on how long you've been shipping plants out to others, once you get a system and rhythm going, things will be easier and a lot less trashed plants.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I get these boxes from USPS...FREE!
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...01&categoryId=13354&productId=11645&langId=-1
Also, I learned how to pay for shipping with Paypal and print labels. You can also arrange USPS to pick the package up at your house, or in your mailbox, etc. For me, I just leave the packages in the box before the mail comes and the mailman takes it with him. So I don't worry about arranging pickup online (plus you have to arrange the day before)
I just use packing tape to tape the printed labels onto the box, leaving the bar code untaped.
This works out very slick. Simplifies things a lot!

I just use newspaper to pack the boxes. The plants are light so the boxes just need a light "fill". No need to mess with peanuts or shredded paper IMO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, Instead of throwing the plants away, you could always leave them in front of your house and offer it free on the site. Lots of members lives in your area and would be glad to drive over and pick up the plants. For example, I live about 20 minutes away from you :) This would counts as a RAOK and that make you feel a little better inside. Cheers :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get these boxes from USPS...FREE!
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...01&categoryId=13354&productId=11645&langId=-1
Also, I learned how to pay for shipping with Paypal and print labels. You can also arrange USPS to pick the package up at your house, or in your mailbox, etc. For me, I just leave the packages in the box before the mail comes and the mailman takes it with him. So I don't worry about arranging pickup online (plus you have to arrange the day before)
I just use packing tape to tape the printed labels onto the box, leaving the bar code untaped.
This works out very slick. Simplifies things a lot!

I just use newspaper to pack the boxes. The plants are light so the boxes just need a light "fill". No need to mess with peanuts or shredded paper IMO.
MORE!MORE!MORE!

I just ordered some boxes and labels. You said you "Also, I learned how to pay for shipping with Paypal and print labels. You can also arrange USPS to pick the package up at your house, or in your mailbox, etc."

Expand on the details please!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Instead of throwing the plants away, you could always leave them in front of your house and offer it free on the site. Lots of members lives in your area and would be glad to drive over and pick up the plants. For example, I live about 20 minutes away from you :) This would counts as a RAOK and that make you feel a little better inside. Cheers :)
Next trim is in about two weeks... Ping me then. Tell me what you're looking for.

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's actually even more simple than reading the website, although that would help. When you get a payment on paypal at the end of the line it asks if you want to print a shipping label. Just walk through the simple instructions and it's done. You even make the payment with your Paypal account. It's around $5.00 for the Priority mail.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So - let me summarize:

1) Order priority-mail boxes and priority mail address labels from USPS.com - they are free. They should arrive in a few days.
2) When you receive payment via Paypal (is there any other way?), there will be an option to initiate/pay for shipping directly from Paypal, and print an invoice and shipping label right from your computer.
3) Package the items using your most preferred method of plant/fish transportation.
4) Put in your home mailbox - and your postman will pick up
5) The "Order-ee" gets his plants in 2-3 days.

Do I have this right?

- Jeff

·
Registered
839 Posts
So - let me summarize:

1) Order priority-mail boxes and priority mail address labels from USPS.com - they are free. They should arrive in a few days.
2) When you receive payment via Paypal (is there any other way?), there will be an option to initiate/pay for shipping directly from Paypal, and print an invoice and shipping label right from your computer.
3) Package the items using your most preferred method of plant/fish transportation.
4) Put in your home mailbox - and your postman will pick up
5) The "Order-ee" gets his plants in 2-3 days.

Do I have this right?

- Jeff
You got it!
You can also drop off the package at a post office if you don't want it to sit in your mailbox - (if you live in a cold area or something)

Also, priority is $4.75 online - Saves you a whole $0.05

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ICKY-STAY in-ay or-fay ale-say?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think there would be value, yes...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts