Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the time to set up my tank and found a few snails crawling around, which are multiplying quite fast.

Should I be worried or let them be as they act as a good clean up crew?

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Like almost everything in this hobby, there is no correct answer to your question. Some people like snails, some like only some snails, and others dislike all snails. You have to decide for yourself. In my case, I decided that I didn't like snails, so I added three Yoyo Loaches to my tank, and my "problem" went away.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I personally like snails in my tanks. They do a great job on cleaning up dead plant matter, eating algea and turning the substrate. I actually add calcium to the tank to help in their shell development.

If you snails are going from few to many in short period of time, then most than likely you are over feeding the tank. If you cut back on the amounts your fish are being feed this will help control the snail population.

At this point you may want to remove some from your tank if it is becoming over populated with snails. But IMO I would not irraticate the entire population, because of the benifits they provide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally like snails in my tanks. They do a great job on cleaning up dead plant matter, eating algea and turning the substrate. I actually add calcium to the tank to help in their shell development.

If you snails are going from few to many in short period of time, then most than likely you are over feeding the tank. If you cut back on the amounts your fish are being feed this will help control the snail population.

At this point you may want to remove some from your tank if it is becoming over populated with snails. But IMO I would not irraticate the entire population, because of the benifits they provide.
The thing is, I'm not even feeding anything in my tank at the moment. I just set it up not even 4 days ago and noticed a few white snails. Then I woke up this morning and saw that there were probably 10-15 in the tank.

I understand completely that they are beneficial to the tank as they eat algae and at times stir up the substrate.

I guess it comes down to a pure personal choice like most of you said (and in past threads).

Can anyone help me identify them w/o a pic?? They are white with a spiral shell from what I can tell? ?

I'll try to take a picture of them later tonight to help.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have MTS, rams horn and pond snails all in my tank. I really don't mind them that much. When they get a little over crowded, I just net them out and feed them to my turtles (have to break the MTS shells though).

One funny thing I've noticed is that my green fire tetras pick on and eat the pond snails. They don't mess with the rams horn or MTS. I've watched them pick on them and they "suck" out the snail. What they don't get the Amano and Cherry shrimp pick out of the shells. I've got tons of empty pond snail shells around my filter intake :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got back home and tried to take a picture, but my camera isn't that great with macro to take a decent picture.

I think, from close inspection, that these snails might be MTS. They have the similar spiral end with it being somewhat white/brownish.

I just don't know how they are multiplying this quickly since I don't have any fish and am not feeding anything in the tank????

Ah well, I guess I'll hand pick them out whenever the population gets too high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts