Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Should I quit adding Mg to PPS Pro?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  goldfishes 
#1 ·
Should I still be adding the Mg? I already have hard water without the addition, it is 10dh, when I add the Mg, it increases to almost 16dh. Should I still be adding the Mg, or leave it out of my new batch. If I do leave it out, will there be any side effects from removing the additional Mg? Thanks.

#2 ·
It depends how often you do water changes. If they are very infrequent (1-2 months) then you might need to add Mg.

Otherwise, regular water changes will replace it before it ever becomes depleted.

Mg just needs to be present. It doesn't have to be present in huge quantities. Usually plants do best when there is a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio between calcium and magnesium. So if you keep adding magnesium and the plants aren't using it at the same rate you are adding it then you will get stunting and nutrient blocking problems. Its probably best to just rely on water changes for Mg since groundwater is usually full of both in the correct ratios.

#6 ·
I just wanted to update this thread to share one important lesson I learned. My test kit was totally wrong. I have since learned how to calibrate Kh and Gh test kits and both were off by more than 50%. So based on that, I am not longer sure I should have quit dosing Mg. My Kh and Gh are actually 6, and 7 degrees.

#8 · (Edited)
I stopped my MG dosing and the tank ran out and my crypts and melon swords leaves started to come in almost white and fall apart. Was doing water changes etc but plants were using up the MG and CA. Just got back on track and they are starting grow again. The PPS charts (THANKS UNCLE ED) are FANTASTIC and tweak the dosages for your tank. (if you don't have MS Excel office get Open Office and the charts will work great) Older MSworks doesn't work the charts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.