Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do weekly water changes on my 75 gal and usually vaccum the gravel. I have a lightly to moderatly planted tank. I was told not to vaccum the gravel as I would be taking away nutrients from the plants, but to instead just change the water.

My problem is, is that I do prune to get rid of dead leaves and things like that. I picked up some anacaras (sp) and it is doing wonderful. But this plant makes one heck of a mess and I was thinkging of getting rid of it. I stired up the gravel the other day to move some plants around because I just got some Malaysian Driftwood and it made one heck of a mess. Took about 1/2 hour but my HOB's cleared the water pretty quick.

My substrate is just the generic stuff you buy at your LFS. I will be getting more but all I have is 2 40# bags in there now.

I made this way to long..

Cliff notes: Should I use my vac to clean the gravel or just change the water?

Matt

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I would vacuum over the top layer and get any detritus off, especially if you can see it laying all over the place. Since you have regular pea gravel I assume you don't have the el natural set up. I wouldn't be doing a deep clean every week reaching clear to the bottom of the tank. Just do the top of it. If you leave all that stuff there you will get an ammonia spike which is not good for your fish. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with Tex Gal. I usually take the end of my Python and kind of waft it over the surface to get any loose stuff floating into the water column where it's easier to suck up without disturbing the substrate.

p.s. Shouldn't this be in GAPD?

Edit: Tex Gal moved it ninja style

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much, i'm still really new to this. Cool I will just clean off the top layer and I usually do a 30 to 50% water change.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the el natural? I have been trying to read but still miss a lot. Is the el natural like it says, clay type substrates instead of the pea gravel?

I will be reading the el natural today.

Thank you,

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts