Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have always painted the back of my tanks black, and have liked the way it brings out bright colors in fish. However, looking at some of the amazing tanks that are featured here, the ones that always blow my mind are the ones that appear to go on forever. Are the backs of these tanks painted white, or is this a photography / lighting technique?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I think I know what you mean. There was one that appeared to have a sunrise in the background that lit up the "sky." I think their tank has no background at all and the effects are from light bouncing off a white or off-white colored wall behind the tank. The distance between the tank and the wall+reflected light seems to add depth. I suppose different lights could be used to get different effects.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
If you mean a white background like in the tanks featured in this article, then what Zapins says is correct. I've seen a thread with a pic on the setup for a photoshoot for one of Jason's tanks before, unfortuantely I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've always wanted to have a lightly media blasted backwall of the tank that is back lit. I think that would look really trick...

One thing that has always buged me about "show tanks" is they very rarly have "life support" eq in them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The clear backed tanks are the current look where they do add depth. I guess it goes along with the current housing colours where lots of us have light coloured walls and therefore the clear back works really well and the light on the wall looks cool too.

I've like this look for a long time and stripped my back off a long long time ago :) I feel it bring s a fresher, crisper and cleaner look to the aquarium. Gives a little more edge and contrast than greens in front of black IMO.

They also have more 'life support' in them than most tanks there are. The aim is to have absolutely crystal clear water, zero tannins and absolutely zero particles so in some cases as much as 32x tank volume filtration is used. None of these have 2-3x tank volume as suggested!!!:

AC

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Quite a bit of prep goes into making these "White" background shots.

First, you remove all algae and all marks on the glass....all sides. Next you would do a large water change to help with clowding and tint if there is any. After that, you remove all equipment and set up the shoot.

To create the white background you will need to have posterboard or some form of white background. To create the brightness, you will need some form of extra light. I used flashes. Another trick is to move the tank a few feet from the wall. This will allow the wall to be out of focus, helping hide any imperfection on the wall or poster board.

Here is an old shoot of the setup of "Open"...

Hope this helps.

jB

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I know, my point is they are not reality.
HAHA!!

Now that is just silly!!

Everyone works so hard to create a layout they are happy with, and taking an extra 20 seconds to pull filter tubes out before you take a picture is just another way to allow a viewer to focus on the beauty of the layout.

I can see if you used photoshop to add something that was never there or something like that, but removing filter tubes and co2 diffusers is not even close to that.

jB

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i'm also one of those guys... a car thats driven and enjoyed is alot cooler, then one that has never been.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
i'm also one of those guys... a car thats driven and enjoyed is alot cooler, then one that has never been.
Yeah, but if you were going to take a picture to sell it, or one last picture before you got rid of it, or if you put a new exhaust on it, you might wash it, and maybe even add a little tire shine;)

Although it should be said, that i never wash my car :)

HAHA

jB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quite a bit of prep goes into making these "White" background shots...

Hope this helps.

jB
Not only did it help...it answered the question completely...Thanks. By the way...Open is a masterwork. Absolutely beautiful in color and composition. I freakin love it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
HAHA!!

Now that is just silly!!

Everyone works so hard to create a layout they are happy with, and taking an extra 20 seconds to pull filter tubes out before you take a picture is just another way to allow a viewer to focus on the beauty of the layout.

I can see if you used photoshop to add something that was never there or something like that, but removing filter tubes and co2 diffusers is not even close to that.

jB
It'd kind of like cleaning your house when you have company.

Just because you dust off your coffey table and put up your tv remote doent mean anthings really changed, it's still the same old livingroom.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I have never "prepped" any of my tanks for a photo session. Now that I know how do do it I think I might try.

Thanks JB. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts