Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 gallon planted tank, who inhabitants are ~ 19 Cherry Red shrimp, 8 Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron) and a few fry (which I'm very excited about, but that's another thread).

This morning before the lights went on, at least 10 or so shrimp were at the very top of the tank. This behavior happened 5 days ago also. I tested the water then got normal readings on every thing (kH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). I just wrote it off to the ice I had floated in the tank because the incredibly hot weather we had been have for a couple of days. Well, they're doing it again and I'm worried I have problem. Tested kh & pH they are fine, just did the weekly water change yesterday. Fish are doing fine, I think, They hide really well and are hard to see in the current setup. Fry are doing fine though, they hang out up front unlike the adults.

The lights have been on almost 2 hours now and all but three shrimp have moved down into the tank.

Anyone else seen this behavior? Does anyone any idea what might be causing this, or have any suggestions? I've really like these little guys and would hate to lose them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you fertilize at all?
Yes, but I haven't changed anything in my fertilizer schedule. I'm doing EI dosing. Using Seachem N,P,K and Flourish (alternate days) until I use them up and get my dry ferts..

Oh, I also occasionally use Seachem iron, and I did add iron 2 days ago according to the direction on the label. Don't add iron on a regular basis. I'm new to planted tanks and haven't figured out if I need to add iron or how much yet.

I was using Excel but it has been a 7-10 day since I've used it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I dose flourish and excel too in CRS tank. I overdose excel sometime seem no significant change/problem.

If only part of male shrimps fly around and female stay, should be a good sign.
If it is all shrimps swim around the top, seem not be a good sign.

How about Temp ? whats the reading?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dose flourish and excel too in CRS tank. I overdose excel sometime seem no significant change/problem.

If only part of male shrimps and female stay, should be a good sign.
If it is all shrimps swim around the top, seem not be a good sign.

How about Temp ? whats the reading?
Yeah, I wasn't to worried about Flourish or Excel, from what I've read folks use them without problems. Just stopped using the Excel because the algae problem is tapering off (tank is 2 month old) and I was a bit concerned about the fry.

The temp is cool now 74 F.

Started this post last night didn't get to finish it, so here's an update, this morning shrimp near the top of the tank again but only half as many as yesterday. Again they moved down eventually and everyone seems fine so far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't to worried about Flourish or Excel, from what I've read folks use them without problems. Just stopped using the Excel because the algae problem is tapering off (tank is 2 month old) and I was a bit concerned about the fry.

The temp is cool now 74 F.

Started this post last night didn't get to finish it, so here's an update, this morning shrimp near the top of the tank again but only half as many as yesterday. Again they moved down eventually and everyone seems fine so far.
whats the reading of NH4, NO2 and NO3?
Are they newly added shrimps?

·
Registered
231 Posts
are you using CO2? do you turn it off at night? Maybe they aren't getting enough oxygen?

I also agree you should check your readings of NH4, NO2 and NO3?

·
Registered
156 Posts
A few possibilities...

1. Are you turning off CO2 during the night? While under light plants consume CO2 and give off oxygen, but in the dark they do the reverse--so you could be depriving the tank of enough oxygen, in which case it wouldn't surprise me that your shrimp show signs of stress before your fish do.

2. So say you floated big chunks of ice in the tank? Where did you get the ice? Was it made with dechlorinated water? If not, then you are essentially dumping chlorine or chloramine-laced water directly into your tank. And again, since shrimp tend to be a lot more sensitive to such things than most fish, it wouldn't surprise me if your shrimp exhibit signs of stress at chlor(ine/amine) levels that don't bother the fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts