Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gall on planted tank. I want to give my shrimp colony a jump start so I put 3 females and one male in a floating breeder box with some moss. Will they mate in there?. One of the females was berried. Should I put her back in the tank after her eggs hatch or leave her there to mate with the male?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve never tried breeding shrimp this way, and haven’t heard from anyone who has. That isn’t to say it can’t work, but from what I know I’d just let them do their thing in the whole tank.

Shrimp need to feel comfortable and safe to begin to thrive. And with more hiding spaces and access to grazing in the whole tank, I would suspect you’d have better success there.

Additionally, biofilm that occurs on plants, rocks, driftwood, etc. is an important part of their diet. This is especially true for the fry in the first parts of their lives. Much more of this will be found throughout the whole tank.

Anyway, this is from my experiences and what I’ve researched. I noticed once the shrimp I introduced became more acclimated to the tank (1-2 weeks), that’s when I saw my first boom of breeding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here are some links you may find helpful. The whole site in general is great for general shrimp info.

Main site

RCS general feeding, breeding, care

Increase shrimplet survival rate

Feeding dishes

I just did some additional reading on that site. I noticed in one of your older posts you mentioned never seeing the shrimp. A common theme seems to be that you need plenty of hiding places (either plants, driftwood, or rock), and aquatic moss.

Having these hiding options makes the shrimp more comfortable overall and you’ll likely begin seeing them more frequently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some links you may find helpful. The whole site in general is great for general shrimp info.

Main site

RCS general feeding, breeding, care

Increase shrimplet survival rate

Feeding dishes

I just did some additional reading on that site. I noticed in one of your older posts you mentioned never seeing the shrimp. A common theme seems to be that you need plenty of hiding places (either plants, driftwood, or rock), and aquatic moss.

Having these hiding options makes the shrimp more comfortable overall and you’ll likely begin seeing them more frequently.
Thanks for the reply. I am seeing shrimp alot more and I've even found quantitiesof baby shrimp hiding under some moss.
The ones I'm trying to breed is some crystal black crossed with crystal red. My wife realy likes the black so I'm trying to get them to cross on purpose to increase the black genes.
I'm impatientand want to see shrimp crawling over everything. How long is it from the time they hatch till they are big enough to see with out my nose touching the glass?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok, if you’re trying to breed a certain trait I think you’ll be most successful with a species only tank for breeding. That way you have better control. (A 5 gallon would be perfect, with tons of driftwood and plants. It may be good to leave one side of the tank “empty” so you can draw them to that area for when you want to catch any).

also if you are breeding for a certain trait, there’s articles about those from the site I’ve been linking. There’s one about culling so you can keep the strongest traits (basically selective breeding).

I can’t answer the question about when you can see them directly, but I assume soon after the initial stage of them hiding in the first few days. I see tiny, tiny ones darting here and there. It catches my eye, but I still get closer to the tank to get a better look.

You may find this link on Breeding and Lifecycle to be helpful. There’s a fun little graphic at the top of the article which shows the process in terms of days and weeks. But note this is for Neocaridina species.

I think I read that a little bit higher protein diet helps induce breeding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A quick up date on the floating breeding box. I now have two berried females in there. Should I remove the males?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If they’re carrying eggs, personally I’d let them all go in the tank. Unless you want to isolate the babies?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts