Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this always the case? there aren't really any fish i can safely keep with shrimp and expect the shrimp to multiply at all? :<
and if that is the case... am a cold hearted evil person if i were to set up 10 gallon tanks beneath each aquarium to use as spawning tanks for the shrimp and just occasionally toss a netful into the display tank? looking at how expensive shrimp are too purchase it seems like a poor choice, watching the easy species i have multiply like bunnies makes it seem like not such a bad idea.
i really want both shrimp and fish. but it seems kind of demented that my love for the shrimp would have me using them as fish food. figured i'd ask for feedback. trying to get my aquariums set up so that they're a pleasure to watch rather than half set up space consuming beasts:/

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, it depends on the species of fish that you are housing with the shrimp!

If the fish, at any point during their lifespan can eat baby brine shrimp, than most likely you're shrimp fry are going to be devoured as well. Adult shrimp can fair better against many types of the smaller fishies with smaller mouths, but they may still be harassed. It really depends on your intent, though. If you're main goal is to breed shrimp and have maximum yield in the number of offspring, then you should steer clear of fish that eat baby shrimp. These fish are pretty much limited to otocinclus and other sucker-mouthed fish. Others have said cories don't eat baby shrimp, but I've seen cories devour baby brine shrimp, so I'm fairly certain they'll eat shrimp fry, just maybe not to the same degree as tetras would, for example.

But some of the more prolific shrimp, like the red cherry shrimp, breed so easily and quickly that it doesn't even matter if a few shrimplets get devoured here and there, which should be the case as long as you provide them with places to hide like mosses, plants, and driftwood/caves.

What fish and shrimp are you thinking about having?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
red cherry shrimp and yellows right now, there are a few more types that i want.. types of fish i'm thinking of rare the very small rasboras.. boraras... chocolate gouramis.. rams, that seems like a recipe for disaster with baby shrimp :) featherfin rainbows... small tetras..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Shrimp as fish food seems pretty legit. It's no different than hatching brine shrimp, culturing microworms, using feeder fish, feeding mice to your snakes, etc.

In fact, I resolved that if my shrimp tank got out of hand (like more than 50 noticable shrimp in a 10gal) they will be used as fish food for population control.

People these days have an unnaturally strong attachment to animals, I think. If you're really uncomfortable with the idea of it, don't do it. Otherwise, they're just shrimp. Real cheap, real prolific.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Shrimp are to fish what cows, pigs and chickens (among others) are to human beings. Humans are just lucky enough to be at the top of the food chain, for the most part.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
red cherry shrimp and yellows right now, there are a few more types that i want.. types of fish i'm thinking of rare the very small rasboras.. boraras... chocolate gouramis.. rams, that seems like a recipe for disaster with baby shrimp :) featherfin rainbows... small tetras..
I have pygmy rasboras and one pair of threadfins with my shrimp. I have tons of baby shrimp in there. If they do eat the babies I have never seen it. I will have to thin the herd soon anyway....

Shrimp are to fish what cows, pigs and chickens (among others) are to human beings. Humans are just lucky enough to be at the top of the food chain, for the most part.
I agree. I just don't watch.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i have 35 ember tetras with now 40+ shrimp. the ember dont eat enough juvis for me. the shrimp are minami, and malayan. they breed like rats. i have watched the tetras go up to juvis but not eat them. i wish they would lol.
long as theres plenty of hiding spots the shrimp will breed. im sure some juvis will be eaten but not all. my tank is half full of plants so they have hiding spots all over. if they were in a tank with no plants there would only be a few survivors.

i put about 5 minamis in the tank 5-6 months ago now theres 40-60 in there now. and i have caught 20-40 and sold them off so there was probably near 100 at one time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts