Aquatic Plant Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I have another question. Would the shrimp eat the fry? Do you separate them? If so, how? I was thinking that once the fry get to the size of maybe 0.5mm, the bigger shrimps would be able to catch them with their claws.
None of the shrimp I have eat their fry. In fact here is a picture of a lot of juveniles all gathered with an adult and sharing a tidbit of food.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks a buch for the answers, you just rid me a large load of worries :) .

Just one more thing, how big are the shrimps when they just hatch?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Gnat, a pleasure to help out a fellow plant geek. Especially one who is as nice a person on the forums, on the chat and more so in real life :)

I snagged on of those cubes from work. We actually also had a curved cornered one with a nano-filter for $24, which is the one I grabbed. I have a Azoo 7w cf to throw on it. I am thinking shrimp tank.

Anyhow, I haven't used a sponge filter in forever, but coulding you syphon from inside the uptake tube. the sponge would keep any shrimplets from getting sucked up.
Might not be practical though, as I don't recall how the airline connects.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Just one more thing, how big are the shrimps when they just hatch?
Cherry Reds are rather small. 1-2 mm and no coloration. Takes about a week for them to color up some.

Nate, How about putting me on a list of buyers for one of the offspring of the "Super Reds?" They look great!
It remains to be seen if the "Super Red" is genetics, dietary or a combination of both. Having read conflicting reports the only way I will know for sure is to experiment myself. This will take time to detemine. I do know there are others working on the same "problem" and we have been sharing data.

I haven't used a sponge filter in forever, but coulding you syphon from inside the uptake tube. the sponge would keep any shrimplets from getting sucked up.
Might not be practical though, as I don't recall how the airline connects
Interesting idea, will have to try it and see how it works. The problem I foresee is reduced siphon efficiency with the bubbles from the filter coming up and entering the siphon tube. Of course one could always shut the air pump during the process too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
gnatster said:
Cherry Reds are rather small. 1-2 mm and no coloration. Takes about a week for them to color up some.
It remains to be seen if the "Super Red" is genetics, dietary or a combination of both. Having read conflicting reports the only way I will know for sure is to experiment myself. This will take time to detemine. I do know there are others working on the same "problem" and we have been sharing data.
I have had my Cherry Reds for over three weeks now. Only one is what I would call red. The others are kind of spotted, and the males (I think) are as clear as can be. If I can help this with diet, am I doing something wrong?

I have a heavily planted tank. The plants are a mix of medium sized leaves, Guppy grass, and a small (golf ball) Java Moss. I assume that is enough surface area for algae. I supliment it one day with with 1/2 an Hikari Algae wafer for some extra vegie matter, and the other day with a home made dish of chopped up shrimp, spinage, oatmeal, garlic, wheat germ, and gelatin for some protien. they eat both, but don't really flock to it. other than the first time I added the home made stuff, when they were all over it, only one or two will come to either the food, or the algae discs. I also have an almond leaf in the tank, and they seem to like it. They often hide under its shadow.

There are only a few snails in the tank, so they don't get pressured. I am at a loss as to why there is so little coloring if it isn't genetics.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
CRS Berried!!

During this evening usual watch the shimp for a while I found a berried CRS. Hopefully on or about Sept 10 there will be CRS fry running about. Working on getting some decent pictures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read somewhere around the net that shrimp larvae die becuase they continueously bang themselves against the glass when following the light, so the tank needs to be opaque (like a rubbermaid container) at the sides or wrapped in black paper. Do you have problems with this? I'm assumeing there shouldn't be any casualties with this since all your tanks are see though, but have you bred shrimps that have a swimming postlarvae stage yet? I would assume the problem be more elevated with swimming larvae than young shrimps that are mini adults at birth.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Zongyi said:
I read somewhere around the net that shrimp larvae die becuase they continueously bang themselves against the glass when following the light, so the tank needs to be opaque (like a rubbermaid container) at the sides or wrapped in black paper. Do you have problems with this? I'm assumeing there shouldn't be any casualties with this since all your tanks are see though, but have you bred shrimps that have a swimming postlarvae stage yet? I would assume the problem be more elevated with swimming larvae than young shrimps that are mini adults at birth.
I'm not sure where you read that. That's absolute bogus in my experience.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I've never heard of that issue before and believe me I've read a lot of material in multiple languages on everything from commercial shrimp farming on a large scale for human consumption to breeding a few ornamental's for aquarium use. But If you can find that source I'll be happy to read that too and try to find if there is any merit in it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Heres the link:
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/shrimp2.htm

It is under Ghost Shrimp in Ghost Shrimp Stories. Heres a quote:
"He believes that a major cause of young ghost shrimp death is their propensity to move towards light. When the room is lighter than the tank (at night usually), they jam themselves into the glass and die."

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thanks for the link.

My take is that the shrimp larvae are all at the glass and are not dispersed in the water column. The planktonic sized food they require are quickly cleared from the glass area, subsequently the larvae starve. So for that variety of shrimp have an opaque tank may be better suited to raising them past the crucial larval stage.

Then again I could be wrong, I have no experience with Glass shrimp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ah well, I guess I'll go with the opaque containers for now and maybe try both out later on. Better to be safe than sorry they say :) .

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Please keep in mind there are many shrimp that do not have the larval stage. Most of the Neocardina and Cardina sp. and var. do not have this stage and would not need such a container.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I realize that but I want to eventually move on to trying to breed shimps that require a brackish water phase. I'm going to try with ghost shrimp first as an attempt to breed swimming larvae, then move on the amanos. From what I read, these brackish larvae do swim. While I'm at it, I want to try shrimp that hatch as miniture adults, and it will allow me to use some of my see though tanks. I got everything exept enough of those containers (I only have a couple) and the shrimp :D .

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
No new pictures this week, been trying to catch one of the now 3 Crystal Red's with eggs to pose but alas, a finicky lot they are.

The eggs on the CRS look to be a little bigger then the one carried by Cherry Reds, they are fewer too. Sexing the Crystals is a bit more difficult then the Cherry's the external signs are more subtle. Haven't taken a census yet either.

Red Clawed Cray Female does not look to have eggs anymore. Don't see any fry running about either. There were some water quality issues however. A moss I had picked up at an aquatic landscaper wholesale grower during a GWAPA field trip did not do well submerged and pretty much self destructed. A minor setback but a learning experience too.

Expecting two shipments this week. One new variety to me, and one to boost an existing colony. The week after is exciting too, my first shipment from Germany will be arriving.

Finally registered a domain name. GnatShrimpFarm.com. Not up and running yet but I own the name and have found a host. Eventually it will host a picture's, sales and short care tips for the various inverts I'm working with.

Thats all for this week, need to pack up some Cherry Reds to share with a neighbor.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Happened by the tanks at a fortuitious time.

Lost a berried Crystal Red, not sure why. Another Crystal is enjoying a lunch of fresh eggs.

Then we have a female Cherry Red bursting with eggs.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts