Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this at the local Home Despot, err... Depot, and took a look at it... I'm in the process of setting up a 115G tank, and am needing fair deal more substrate still (have some left over from a 60G setup). So, here's the idea...

Use this stuff to form a sloping bed 1" (front) to 3" (rear of tank) and cap it with at least 2" of a 50/50 Flourite/gravel mixture.

I'm also planning on using a Substrate heating system (simple version- The Bioplast ThermoFloat) if that makes any difference.

Any one have experience with this product? Is this likely to work, or turn my tank into a mudskipper's paradise? Is it all too confusing and I should just go jump off a cheesecake instead?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says it doesn't cloud the water (but an advertisement also said I'd have X-Ray vision with those glasses.... :lol: ), and I'm apt to believe it. Mainly, I'm looking for it as a cheap alternative to Flourite in the bottom layer(s). I'm still wet behind the ears (snicker) on when it comes to plants. I know a lot of theory, but very little practical experience. And a lot of my theory is 4+ years old, so even it's not up to snuff anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, the Substrate heater is pretty cheap overall... $91 for a 115G tank. They were the 'new big thing' when last I left off with planted tanks around 4-5 years ago. Are they worth investing in?

Anyways, I guess updating the plan would now look something like this:

1" sloping back to 3" layer of composite mixture (2-3mm pool filter gravel, Flourite, Shutlz A.P.S., peat, and maybe Diamond Black if I can find it)
3" covering layer of 50/50 Flourite/pool filter gravel

I want to do the sloping bottom layer given depth of the tank (over 24") and the fact I plan on doing a lot of terracing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.