Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am wanting to add some crypts to a 7 gallon bowfront tank. The substrate is eco-complete. I have a 14 watt regular flo and no added Co2. I currently have crypt willissi and parva. What other varieties of crypts stay fairly small? I was considering wendti but heard a lot of varieties of wendti get large. Does tonkinensis stay small? I will want crypts for the back and foreground of the small tank.

Keith

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
C. parva is, of course, the smallest. The various hybrids with parva that now go under the name of C. x willisii are usually next in size. These used to go by the names, C. nevillii and C. lucens. Most of the other crypts get from six inches to over a foot tall. C. undulata may be a little smaller than the others in this category. Some of the wendtii species get over a foot tall. C. aponogetifolia can get leaves two to three feet long.

My limited experience with C. tonkinensis has been that it died on me before I could get it started. From the pictures, it appears to have very thin leaves, but not especially short leaves. Keith, do you know of a source for tonkinensis? I would like to try it again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am in the same exact position as you!

7 gallon AGA minibow, eco complete, but I am running 26watts of lighting in mine.

I have C. parva, willisi, lutea, lucens and wendtii in mine right now.

I am doing a little bit of re-arranging, and I am adding C. walkerii to mine if the auction works out. I figure it'll fill in the back and right side nicely.

If my wendtii starts getting too big, I'm going to pull it and replace it with something else, that simple. Hopefully my LFS did good with keeping smaller plants. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased some tonkinensis awhile ago from Lowcoaster on Aquabid. He sometimes gets some rare plants. It didn't last very long, but I thought I might try it again. The 7 gallon might not be a good tank for it, but I could try it in my 30 long.

Geo, we have almost exactly the same set up. The only othe plants in it is some petite anubias, floating hornwort and java moss. I am going to add some narrow leaf java fern as well. I wanted to keep the lighting dim, because I plan on adding Axelrod rasboras.

Keith

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
C. tonkinensis

Pets-warehouse claims to have tonkinensis. Not sure if it truly is tonkinensis.
I think I will monitor AquaBid, instead. I ordered from Petswarehouse once a long time ago and had problems with being over-billed. I described the problems on APD, and I am lucky that I am not one of the long suffering defendents.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Petswarehouse went out of business a long time ago, Robert Novak decided to close down the company after his lawsuit(s) began. Many people complained about the company's bad service (don't sue me! :)), his site had lots of rare Crypt's. I even saw C.bullosa on the list, but I never did order...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Even under medium light with DIY CO2 and Flourite, I found C. wendtii 'Tropica' to stay pretty small. I know it's healthy because of the shape and color of the leaves, so I'm sure it's not stunted or anything. I'm actually keeping one in my 2.5-gallon tank right now and it's looking beautiful. It's towards the front, but off to the side so it doesn't look overly misplaced. In a 7-gallon with C. parva and C. willisii, the Tropica crypt should be placed somewhere behind these, and be sure not to let the C. parva get shaded over, since they're a species that requires relatively strong light. Also, the color would be a nice contrast, with the parva and willisii being green and the Tropica being a reddish-brown.

I'd suggest C. pygmaea, but it may not be available where you are. I'm not sure about their potential size, but it looks to me slightly bigger than C. parva (the leaves are wider), but easier to grow, and the leaves look mostly green with slight rusty-red highlights. It's a beautiful, adorable plant. Seems a tad less resilient than wendtiis but definitely easier than parva.

-Naomi

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sure do! I've purchased two bunches of it and it's taking a while for the new leaves to grow out, but I think they'll be okay. Well, they *better* be, at $10 per booger-sized bunch :shock: .

-Naomi

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got C. pygmaea and C. wendtii 'Tropica' at Albany Aquarium (Albany, CA; not NY) - a LFS that receives plant shipments from the Far East every two weeks. The owner (Guy) is nearly impossible to get a hold of because he's almost never there, but you can try leaving a message with one of the employees: 510-525-1166.

For a number of people, I've been buying the plants they've been wanting, sending them, and getting reimbursed for the plants, tax, and shipping. Unfortunately, I've been losing a lot of my own money by doing this :( so I'm more reluctant to offer this "service" these days. Besides, the owner has told me that he is willing to ship plants. So it's just a matter of getting in touch with him.

They're expecting another shipment early next week (Sunday or Monday). I did see two bunches of C. pygmaea left as of this past Monday. They've been selling well, so I'm sure they'll be getting more in the next shipment.

-Naomi

·
Registered
243 Posts
Albany Aquarium gets a lot of airplay on the net, but they must not have a site. A quick Google only got me an aquarist's page rating the place with contact information. Calling from NY I wouldn't want to have to make a series of calls to locate the owner. Thanks for relaying this info- I'm sure there are those here that can take advantage of it better than I can.

You shouldn't be losing any money picking up stuff for folks, Naomi. I'm very sorry to hear about that.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Gnome, since Albany is about 400miles away(according to mapquest)..could I possibly buy Crypts from you when I need them?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Raul-7 said:
Gnome, since Albany is about 400miles away(according to mapquest)..could I possibly buy Crypts from you when I need them?
LOL! Sure - it's really no problem. The money loss incurred was my own fault in one case. I purchased and sent over $15 worth of plants and I told the guy that I didn't expect any payment for anything that didn't survive. Well, the plants reached him in two days but the weather on the receiving end was freezing and everything disintegrated within days after being planted in his tank. I kept good on my word, though. To be fair, he offered to pay, but since I already gave a verbal guarantee, I said don't bother. About a week later, I sent another guy some plants and I guess he forgot to pay me. In that case, it was less than $6 worth of plants (including the tax) so I decided it wasn't worth it to get on his case about it (I HATE even broaching the subject of getting paid). Anyway, I resolved not to guarantee the condition of the plants any more, and if I don't recognize the person from any of the forums I frequent, I can always request payment first. My husband has a PayPal account, too, although gosh-darn PayPal always takes out a big chunk of whatever's put in there :evil: .

If you're looking for a particular species, let me know and I'll ask the manager at Albany Aquarium if they have it in stock or to try and order it. If it's something that Oriental Aquarium carries, I can *almost* guarantee that they can get it. If not, then it's a crapshoot. You should probably let me know the maximum amount you're looking to pay for a portion of the plant. The shop's not cheap by any means.

Truth is, it costs me $3.75 MINIMUM to even get to the store and back home, but I don't tack it on to the reimbursement charge because I'd probably be going at least every two weeks regardless of whether I'm picking something up for somebody or not. In any case, this hobby is a financial drain no matter how I look at it... (violins start playing). I'm happy just to get back what I'm owed. If I can be assured of this, I'm glad to pick up and ship plants to my fellow hobbyists :) .

Just PM me about which Crypts you're looking for and I'll see what I can do.

-Naomi

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Florida Aquatic Nurseries sells C. wendtii "Tropica" under the name "Bronze Wendtii". Just about any LFS that has dealings with one of their distributors can get them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts