Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 24 gallon Aquapod cube that I have stocked with nano fish and RCS. Some of my favorites:
Ember Tetras (very mild-mannered, don't hide much)
Celestial Pearl Danios (great-looking fish... when you can actually see them. mine spend 99% of their time hidden in the plants)
Boraras brigittae (very active, bright fish)
Badis Badis (neat peaceful little fish, but I've read of them hunting shrimp)
Pseudomugil gertrudae (very beautiful fish, but mine were too aggressive, stressed out some of the other occupants and were returned. These with embers or Sundadanio axelrodi would be a great combo.)

But far and away, my favorite fish are the 3 Sundadanio axelrodi blue form that i picked up a few months ago. They look great, and have the most personality of any fish in the tank - always swimming in the open, not aggressive at all. The problem is finding them... They are expensive online, and I can't find any more locally. If you could find them, I'd highly recommend getting a bunch.

Also, I second Bryce's suggestion of threadfin rainbows - they look great IMO.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tex Gal - I was lucky to find some at the only decent LFS I have in my area. I only bought 3, as I knew nothing about them. Went back 3 days later and her stock of 300 fish were completely sold out. Really wishing I had picked up more!
Niko mentioned in another forum they would be carrying them in the future. If invertz factory doesn't decide to stock them, check Live Aquaria. They come and go out of their stock, it appears they have the blue form in stock now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyways, I have seen those Sundadanio axelrodi blue at a local pet store and they are gorgeous. The tank they were in was a planted nano with a black substrate and background. The only thing that you could see of them from about 2+ feet away was their bright blue tops. Even up close, the rest of their body seemed to melt away. If she had some for sale I would have bought a group, but alas, she only gets them in once or twice a year-though she sells them for 4-5 bucks which is a killer deal imo.
Judging from your location - Aquarium Solutions in Spokane? Same place I got mine, she promised to send me an email when she gets more in stock. I can send you a pm if you'd like when/if that happens.

And... to not completely thread-jack: Pseudepiplatys annulatus, aka Clown Killifish

Peaceful, small killi that is well-suited to the bio-cube, as their one down side is they like to jump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts