Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which small but colorful fish would you suggest for a 29 g zen-style (ala Amano) setup with Marsilea Minuta ground cover, Seiryu stone mountains and some Anubias Nana and Anubias Nana Petite as "trees" on the mountains. Think it could look strange to keep larger fish with a small mountain scene.

How do Neon Tetras do? Are they hardy? I've only kept cardinal tetras.

If I go with small fish, I'll probably keep Red Cherry Shrimp as well.

Probably keep Nerite snails as well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny I've heard people report problems with cardinals, including whole schools dying out seemingly without explanation, though I've never had problems with them and thought they were hardier than neon tetras.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW I've never seen some of those. Gorgeous fish! Never knew there'd be so many great choices. I'll try to look up their parameters and get a sense of which might do best in this tank. Only limiting condition I anticipate is a little potential elevated tank heat for about two months in summer, which could be a problem for the White Cloud Minnows which like cool water. The room the tank is in can get a little warm because of the red tile roof over it during warm sunny days.

How many fish of this general 2-4 cm size do you think I could keep in my Biocube 29, given that I'll have super filtration (an XP2 running with tons of room for filter media, chemi-pure carbon, plus plants) and hopefully some Red Cherry Shrimp and a few Nerite snails?

How many kinds would you keep together? Will they school with their own kind if mixing 2-3 species?

Might look more dramatic with just 1-2 species of highly colorful fish rather than many different kinds of fish.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1) How many fish of this general 2-4 cm size do you think I could keep in my Biocube 29, given that I'll have super filtration (an XP2 running with tons of room for filter media, chemi-pure carbon, plus plants) and hopefully some Red Cherry Shrimp and a few Nerite snails?

2) Of all those mentioned, which fish would you stay away from given keeping Red Cherry Shrimp and given a tank that could possibly get a degree or two warmer than I'd like for two months in summer (I just know the room gets warm, no way to know exactly how tank will respond until next summer). I already know the White Cloud Minnows prefer very cool water, 65-75F, so probably not a great choice for this tank (though a beautiful and interesting fish).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking the info in this thread could be used to make a sticky on "Suggested fish and inverts for nano tanks"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts